• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

67 Mustang - All electrical failure - good battery

  • Thread starter Thread starter jaredlgoldman
  • Start date Start date Jun 29, 2019
J

jaredlgoldman

New Member
Jun 29, 2019
1
0
0
Boston
Jun 29, 2019
#1
  • Jun 29, 2019
  • #1
I have a 67 Mustang. I recently replaced my radio and pulled my instrument panel. While I had it out I replaced all my bulbs. I ran a constant wire back to the battery for the radio. I put everything together and turned the car on. All was working a few minutes until I had smoke coming out from behind the instrument panel.

I turned the car off, pulled the instrument panel and started the car up again. No smoke this time.

I waited a day and pulled the instrument panel out all the way to see if there was damage. No evidence of anything.

My car is now totally dead. I tried jump starting the car. No power. I had the battery on a trickle charge overnight
The dome light in the car does not turn on
When you turn the key, no power, no start
When I put a tester on the battery it lights up

I think there is an issue with the Solenoid or something with the wiring, ground, etc.
Could it be a fuse issue
Could it be the ignition switch

I am looking for some advice on how to figure this out
 

The Shemdogg

Active Member
Mar 15, 2016
137
23
38
san jose CA
Jun 29, 2019
#2
  • Jun 29, 2019
  • #2
Remove the hot wire you ran for the radio and check to see what let out the smoke. Check all your fuses and power getting to the fuse box. Get a voltmeter to test the battery, it should be 13-14 volts fully charged. A test light will light up at 9 volts= no help
good luck

shem
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

O
Resolved 2004 Mustang GT 4.6. No crank, no dash lights, No headlights or dome, No radio, no Hazards.
  • oldtimeracer
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
132
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
oldtimeracer
O
S
Electrical No dash lights
  • slojoexxx
  • Dec 11, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
183
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Dec 11, 2025
slojoexxx
S
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
257
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
Electrical Issues with my 2006 mustang gt
  • VerneVdV
  • May 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
174
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech May 22, 2026
VerneVdV
Electrical Parasitic Draw, Fuse 8
  • N8827N
  • Sep 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
190
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?