67 V8 Coupe Drum/Disc brakes

rdmjr83

Mar 31, 2005
Hey all,
Probably a stupid question but someones got to ask it. I was told that the spindles for drum brakes and disc brakes on a 67 coupe are the same. So I was wondering why I couldn't buy a master disc brake rebuild kit and just install it instead of having to buy a whole SSBC, Baer, or Wildwood kit. Wouldn't I just need the new rotors, calipers, master cylinder, etc.? If there is a difference between the two, wouldn't there only be minor modifications needed to make the disc brake kits work. Like I said probably a stupid question, but I figured I'd ask and see if I could save myself a few hundred bucks. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a difference in the spindle. The Wilwood kit I know works great with drum spindles because the spindle has 4 holes and they are tapped(threads). Using the disc spindle with the same Wilwood kit requires you to drill the 3 holes bigger and then tap them. If you download the instr. from Wilwood you will find what I'm talking about. At least with the wilwood kit, it is easier to convert drum to disc.

65fastback2+2 said:
the wilwood kit also makes your car track wider, you wanna go with someone like SSBC

Just a note on the SSBC though, they don't stand behind their product in my dealings with them. I called them witha a question pertaining to their rear disc kit. The E-brake didn't ever work. I wanted to find out what I did wrong. They told me they don't work, and "Oh well". For that, I'll never buy from them again.

Spindles are DEFINITELY different as has been said. IIRC there was another difference between 67 & 68 disc spindles too. The 69/70 drum spindles are reputedly the ones to get, they are the strongest ones.

I'd take Wilwood/Baer over SSBC in a heartbeat!

The good 'ol spindel debate :)

This is something I have been meaning to ask. I have the original spindles from my 68 I6, I also have the spindles from a 68 v8, both cars were drum brakes originally. Are they interchangeable? I haven't had both parts side by side yet to compare part numbers.

Edbert said:
In 67 the V8 and I6 spindles were different. I'm guessing they were in 68 too but I'm not 100% sure.

I know the 65-66 v8 and i6 spindles are different.

I know the 67 v8 and i6 spindles are different.

I know the 67 and 68 spindles are different.

I do not know if the 68 v8 and i6 spindles are different.

I read somewhere that 68 and up they used the same spindle irregardless of if it was a v8 or i6 car. The only difference was if it was a disc or drum brake car. Then it was to accomodate the caliper. The spindle, or pin, or the thingy the bearings are on was actually the same.

I am hoping to find somebody to corroborate what I think I remember reading. I plan on getting the calipers out and measuring both but the the v8 spindles and soaking in degreaser for a while.

I was told that the spindles for drum brakes and disc brakes on a 67 coupe are the same.

For a V8, yes. The disc brake setup used an adapter bolted onto the spindle, which the caliper bolts on to. The reason you can't just buy the parts from your local Autozone is that nobody carries the caliper adapter. I remember someone machining them out of billet steel a few years ago but they wanted hundreds of $$$ for a pair - you might as well just buy the conversion.

Debate all you want, all I did was put the adapters on my '67 spindles to convert to disc brakes.

latamud: There is a difference in the spindle. The Wilwood kit I know works great with drum spindles because the spindle has 4 holes and they are tapped(threads). Using the disc spindle with the same Wilwood kit requires you to drill the 3 holes bigger and then tap them. If you download the instr. from Wilwood you will find what I'm talking about. At least with the wilwood kit, it is easier to convert drum to disc.

I checked it out and you're right, however I have never compared 65/66 spindles so maybe that's what they're talking about? Considering you need a machine shop to drill, tap, and countersink the spindle, plus the fact that they do NOT use the factory wheel offset I wouldn't say that it's easier. I don't see a reason why you couldn't just use the 4 holes they provide, though, if they're already on your spindle.

Oh yeah, my SSBC rear caliper e-brake was stuck, too. This was before they were on the internet (damn I'm old) so I just ended up rebuilding it myself rather than calling them. It's just an 84-86 Mustang SVO caliper/rotor/pad combination, plenty of cheap parts for it.

Thanks for all the help guys. Guess i'll be sinking some bucks into one of the kits. I figured it wasn't going to be that easy or else everyone would be doing it. Thanks again.

ron67fb said:
Oh yeah, my SSBC rear caliper e-brake was stuck, too. This was before they were on the internet (damn I'm old) so I just ended up rebuilding it myself rather than calling them. It's just an 84-86 Mustang SVO caliper/rotor/pad combination, plenty of cheap parts for it.

You got the E-Brake to work on that SSBC rear disc Kit?

can you show some pics of your setup?

Pbum5 said:
You got the E-Brake to work on that SSBC rear disc Kit?

can you show some pics of your setup?

I'm not sure because my e-brake handle broke, but at least I can move the lever freely now. I found out it was bad when my e-brake stayed engaged on one caliper and I smoked the pads.

Sorry no pics, and my car's not due for another jack-up anytime soon.