70 Ignition Switch obsolete?

shotsy

Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma City
My quest for the infamous now obsolete 70 igniton switch led me to the following...

attachment.php

Every place I called including the big name mustang parts houses (pick your favorite) either had none and told me they were obsolete or offerd to sell me one off of a junker for an enormous amount of cash. When I asked about the 70-73 switch I was told by evryone that the column was diffrent on the 71-73 models and the switch wouln't work. Turns out that the 71 switch is mechanicly Identical to the 70 switch but the pink wire on the 70 switch is now green/red on the 71 switch. Pin for pin it's the same switch but the plug is diffrent. and the harnes on the 71 is about 6 inches shorter. In short save yourself some cash if you need a switch grab a 71 and take the time to make it work!! I think its all an evil plot to gouge all of us 70 owners for some extra cash!!!!

Attachments

• 7071switches.jpg
    7071switches.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Sponsors (?)

its funny how they would discontinue a 1970 switch, but the old 65-66 cars just keep producing more and more parts. i guess they are just more popular, but youd think that someday all classic stang parts would catch on. i honestly feel bad for you late 60's through 70's mustang owners because the parts just arent there or are more expensive than for the 65-66 cars

84convertablegt said:
its funny how they would discontinue a 1970 switch, but the old 65-66 cars just keep producing more and more parts. i guess they are just more popular, but youd think that someday all classic stang parts would catch on. i honestly feel bad for you late 60's through 70's mustang owners because the parts just arent there or are more expensive than for the 65-66 cars

Yeah the price of a 70 safety switch for a C4 is about 200% more than one for a 69 thankfully my C4 was out of a 69 :nice: Speaking of trans I've got a B&M shift kit for a 70-UP C4 that I'll trade for a 69 kit :mad: thats how I found out my C4 was a 69 the valve body is way diffrent :bang: