71 Steering is loose!

Neo_PS2

Dec 31, 2004
Twin Cities
I just finished restoring my 71 Mach 1. I put disc brakes and rebuilt the suspension. The only thing wrong with the car is that the steering is really loose. I had it aligned because I rebuilt the suspension and the guy said it was really had to align. Could the tie rods have anything to do with it, I was a little concerned because the bushings and metal pieces that connected it to the frame were different, and the metal pieces were right against the frame, isn't that metal to metal contactunwanted. I asked around and they told me I installed it right. Or else I was thinking that it could possibly be the steering box being worn. What do you guys think. If I don't get this problem fixed, it's getting the boot, then just more money for my 06.:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, It's probably the steering box. If it has never been adjusted you can get rid of alot of the slop by tightening the adjusting screw on the top of the box. Just use a sloted screwdriver to hold the screw while you loosen the jamb nut. Then tighten the screw a couple of turns an retighten the jamb nut. This helps alot of times but if the box is shot it won't.