8.8 in 01 GT upgrades, need advice

SaleenGT2001

Jul 18, 2005
Four Oaks NC
ok guys, i'm gonna be ordering my supercharger by the end of march. i'm looking at somewhere around the 380rwhp mark. i know the stock rear end is weak. what do i need to replace before i start doing some hard launches on slicks?? i want to replace the stock carrier with a limited slip. are there any good kits out there that include the limited slip and some good axles or should i just buy seperate???

• Sponsors (?)

guys are the 28 spline axles ex.(moser) and a eaton just as strong as the 31 or is 31 spline stronger?

never really understood this. are they equally strong and the 31 spline just grabs better?

03ghoststang said:
you need 31 spline axles and a eaton posi, and weld your tube axles and torque boxes also
All of that plus might as well replace all the seals and bearings (axles, pinion, etc) and paint the axle housing while you are at it :nice:

Maybe throw a nice FRPP cover on the pumpkin with reinforced stud caps.

M4033G1_a.jpg

M4210C.jpg

M4235F.jpg

M-4204-A28_b.jpg

M4204T31.jpg

Attachments

• M4033G1_a.jpg
    M4033G1_a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 80
  • M4210C.jpg
    M4210C.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 93
  • M4235F.jpg
    M4235F.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 101
  • M-4204-A28_b.jpg
    M-4204-A28_b.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 97
  • M4204T31.jpg
    M4204T31.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 93
03-s281 said:
Detroit TruTrac 3pinion design
Moser 31 spline axles w/3in studs
Moser girdle cover with main caps
welded axle tubes and torque boxes.
Launch from the moon!!:D

any tech on why the trutrac is superior to the eaton? I have not purchased the diff yet.

are the moser axels superior to the FRPP? they are basically the same price so I was just going to flip a coin but if there is a reason to go moser I would.

I went with the T/A cover as MM mentioned it clearing there panhard rod and found it on sale at DTS for $140.

Kilgore Trout said:
All of that plus might as well replace all the seals and bearings (axles, pinion, etc) and paint the axle housing while you are at it :nice:

Maybe throw a nice FRPP cover on the pumpkin with reinforced stud caps.

yes I would get the install kit. I would avoid the FRPP cover though as it is like $190 and you can get the t/a cheaper.

SaleenGT2001 said:
are the stock axles 31 spline? and what will the reinforced cover do??
Stock axles and diff are 28 spline. The cover is just in case the rear explodes so you can keep all the parts in the pumkin instead of all over the starting line and pissing everybody else off when they have to wait 1hr so they can reprep the track. And its alot stronger:nice: and you can change the rear fluid by draining from the bottom.

hognutz said:
any tech on why the trutrac is superior to the eaton? I have not purchased the diff yet.

are the moser axels superior to the FRPP? they are basically the same price so I was just going to flip a coin but if there is a reason to go moser I would.

I went with the T/A cover as MM mentioned it clearing there panhard rod and found it on sale at DTS for $140.
You can go over to www.modulardepot.com and do a search on eaton and find 3-4 people that have grenaded them. I believe Bill Putnam and Bob Cosby run the TruTrac. I got the Moser axles because of there reputation for being so strong. But both are good I'm sure. TA makes 75% of the covers anyway, they are just stamped different. Moser is a TA cover.

I would not recomend the Detroit Tru Track. It's a copy of a torsen differential. They are not meant for drag racing. Lots of little parts that go snap and pop. For drag racing, you would want a Detroit No Spin (True detrpit locker) That is their drag racing diff.