Drivetrain 8.8 Limited Slip Differential Questions?

enyawix

Dec 18, 2005
Never mind my signature. The 351w is not in this car yet. Getting the car ready for winter. My current rear end was worthless last snow and think a 351 could break a 7.5. Will a LOK Limited Slip Differential handle snow reasonably well? American muscle has a 31spline LOK Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs for under $300.00. How many spline are the v6 axles?

• Sponsors (?)

If by LOK, you're reffering to a Traction Lok differential, then yes....if it's designed for a 7.5" it will work, but it's not going to make the rear end any stronger. It's the smaller gear set itself that can't take the abuse, not so much the diff. You will most certainly break them with the torque of a healthy 351W in there. Had a Ranger with a 5.0 HO swap back in the day and broke two 7.5" rear ends.

...and both the 7.5" and 8.8" rear ends used 28-spline axles.

In any case....if you're going to go through the trouble of rebuilding that rear end and you know for certain you're doing that 351W swap, I'd just put the money towards a complete used 8.8" rear end assembly from a V8 car (that already came with a Traction Lok) and save yourself the aggravation. It likely isn't going to cost you any more money in the end.

And if you insist on driving it in the winter.....sand bags are your friend.

I hate driving limited slip cars inthe snow. If you get one wheel spinning, the other one soon joins it and next thing you know the rear end is stepping out. I'd rather stick with an open diff.

Are you really considering driving a nose-heavy 351 car in the snow? If so, snow tires, and tons of sand bags in the trunk.