8.8" To 7.5" Axle Bearing Cross-Reference?BAD Howling/Whining From Axle..

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I have a bearing problem(a loud howling, i assume its bearings or backlash, not sure but the wear pattern on the teeth is perfect on both sides of the teeth) on my 8.8 i just bought, the howling gets louder with speed and is louder than my loud exhaust at highway speeds..which sucks. i have only drivent he car home since the swap, i gave my old axle away already but have a 7.5(broken spider gears) sitting in the parts car. I want to know if i can switch all the bearings out of my 7.5" and put them into my 8.8" without problems, and if you have any suggestions as for the howling i'd like to hear em also, thanks :SNSign:

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if either the carrier or pinion bearings interchange.

There is enough pain in pressing the old ones off, and they are relatively cheap, that I would not try to reuse them.

You could try cross reffing them at a parts store or Autozones site.

Bearings are about $30 for the pinion, both bearings, both races; and about $25 for both carrier bearings and races.

Timken part #'s
pinion: inner bearing M802048 ($14)
inner race M802011 ($6)
outer bearing M88048 ($6)
outer race M88010 ($5)

carrier: bearing w/race SET36 (about $12)

axle bearing: 5707 (about $10)

....if that helps

i talked to a good parts store/guy tonight and he said it is most definately the carrier bearings, thanks for the part numbers, looks like i'll be doing it this weekend so i can finally drive till my clutch goes out..then replace that..aah..anyone know what's involved in pressing the old carrier bearings/races out and installing new ones? will a bench vice and lots of hand tools work? i dont exactly have easy access to a hydraulic press

~Mark~