• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

8" Posi......what one to get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PickupMan
  • Start date Start date May 25, 2008

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
403
7
28
Hazleton, Pa
May 25, 2008
#1
  • May 25, 2008
  • #1
OK, the gears are getting pretty noiseyin the rear and it's time to tear them out and rebuild everything...maybe even new gears. Anyway I figured since everything is out I'll install a posi. I don't need anything crazy...heck an old stock limited slip one will work fine but need something. Wondering where I can get the best bang for my buck? I know ebay has complete sections for about 6 - 8 hundred but I don't want to spend that much. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joe
 
Q

Que

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
11
0
0
May 25, 2008
#2
  • May 25, 2008
  • #2
I bought an 8" from Quick Performance 641.751.8060 http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQtZkm
They were easy to deal with and a limited slip is selling for $325. They probably have new gears as well. Be sure to buy the bearings from them. I didn't and it took some searching to find the correct ones.
 

Tim65GT

Active Member
Feb 24, 2004
1,149
2
39
West Texas
May 25, 2008
#3
  • May 25, 2008
  • #3
I've been thinking of replacing my open 3.00 diff with something like this:

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246451238&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=180235141405&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3

View attachment 316727

Edit: Oops, now I see you said you didn't want to spend that much. With the other option, you have to get someone to set up the backlash and pinion depth correctly, or you will have .... noise.
 

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
403
7
28
Hazleton, Pa
May 26, 2008
#4
  • May 26, 2008
  • #4
The best bang for your buck is going to be the ebay route and get everything in one shot! My father-in-law is an old hot rodder and is going to help me set up the rear. I do like the $325 for the posi?? I'll probably go down that route and I'll get the bearings too!! I'll check them out and see what I can find. Thanks again!

Joe
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
832
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
D
96 get convertible-sell or part out?
  • DTCstang
  • May 17, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
5
Views
247
What is it Worth?!?!? May 18, 2026
nickyb
Engine Starter ring gear depth. 3/8 or 3/4 inch?
  • 92Rustang
  • Aug 4, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
391
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2025
Rcdgl
R
J
For Sale MASTER LISTING: Abandoned '66 Mustang Restomod Part-Out (Wilwood, Ididit, Quick Performance, Mishimoto)
  • JasonB66
  • Jul 23, 2026
  • Suspension
Replies
0
Views
227
Suspension Jul 23, 2026
JasonB66
J
3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
681
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?