80mm. ford maf for 5.0

mustang30288

Jan 15, 2007
I was just wondering if those 80mm ford mafs that come on later models. I think they came on taurus or something. I got 24lb. injectors so the calibration will not be a problem. Just wondering if it will work fine. There is also a plug that comes with some of them on ebay and i wonder if you need to use that plug or just use your factory wiring harness. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I was just wondering if those 80mm ford mafs that come on later models. I think they came on taurus or something. I got 24lb. injectors so the calibration will not be a problem. Just wondering if it will work fine. There is also a plug that comes with some of them on ebay and i wonder if you need to use that plug or just use your factory wiring harness. thanks

If ebay is telling you that the ford 80mm LMAF is 'calibrated' for 24lb injectors, then they are LYING.

Ford never calibrated their MAF meters to an injector size. Ford calibrated their MAF meters to the computer. The MAF calibration is done independant of injector size.

You can get the 80mm LMAF to work with your A9* computer, but it will take a custom tune. Are you willing to get a dyno tune, or learn how to use a tuner (tweecer, pms, moates)?

If not then the only 2 ways to run 24lb injectors is to either get an aftermarket MAF, or convert to a Cobra ecu and MAF/MAS.

Sticking with the original Ford equipment will result in better drivability, but an aftermarket MAF/MAS can work quite well.

Hope that helps,
jason

thanks for the reply. cause i was really considering getting one. But i guess it would actually cost more for an 80mm ford than an after market one (tuner or tuned). I guess I will look around on ebay for a used aftermarket one. BTW what is a good brand of maf. I have heard bad things about the C&l mafs but they are cheaper than pro m or granatelli. just let me know what you would go for. thanks again for the reply.

The best way to run 24lb injectors on a Fox Mustang is to use the 93 Cobra ecu, 93 Cobra MAF/MAS, and 24lb injectors.
This setup will provide a 70mm MAF and Factory Ford tuning. You won't have any issues with hard cold starts or rich idle.

The second best option is the PMAS (the new ProM company), followed by C&L.

Myself and others have had good luck with C&L, but many folks aren't so lucky.
The accuracy of the PMAS meter is higher, so there is less risk of problems.

Summary,
Cobra conversion
Pmas
C&L

If you feel a custom tune or tuner is worth investing in, then the options open up considerably.

jason

have you checked out Andersons new LoadIo it seems like a pretty good piece and allows you to tune the MAF for any change in injectors from the car. 5.0 Mustang installed it on a car in the January issue that they were doing all the boltons, then heads, then nitrous work too.

I use brake cleaner, but most folks use carb cleaner.
Brake cleaner is supposed to be residue free, I'm not sure about carb cleaner...

Try not to touch the wires with anything. If you do, be gently.

have you checked out Andersons new LoadIo it seems like a pretty good piece and allows you to tune the MAF for any change in injectors from the car. 5.0 Mustang installed it on a car in the January issue that they were doing all the boltons, then heads, then nitrous work too.

I have reservations about using these types of MAF signal tuners to run a MAF and injector that are grossly mismatched, but they should work fairly well for fine tuning.

I may be completely wrong, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has used one of these.

Anyone have experience?

Where is the best place to get a cobra computer? I have 24# injectors and a 73mm C&L (don't know what it is calibrated for but car runs like crap) and a Cobra MAF in the 'hatch. Glad I found this thread I was trying to figure out if I should run the cobra MAF + CPU or buy another MAF calibrated for the 24# injectors.

Where is the best place to get a cobra computer? I have 24# injectors and a 73mm C&L (don't know what it is calibrated for but car runs like crap) and a Cobra MAF in the 'hatch. Glad I found this thread I was trying to figure out if I should run the cobra MAF + CPU or buy another MAF calibrated for the 24# injectors.

For verifying the calibration of the C&L tube, check the calibration page on their site.
I also have the diameters of most of the C&L sample tubes on my site, in case the color coding is gone from your tube.

You currently have...
X3Z ecu
24lb injectors
73mm C&L (unkown calibration)

Is that correct?

jason

Brake cleaner does leave a powdery residue so I wouldn't use that. I went to Kragen and bought some cleaner designed specifically for mass airflow meters. It's made by CRC and comes in a spray can with a grey colored label. Electrical contact cleaner also works well.

I have reservations about using these types of MAF signal tuners to run a MAF and injector that are grossly mismatched, but they should work fairly well for fine tuning.

I may be completely wrong, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has used one of these.

Anyone have experience?

I looked at this and sent a few emails to AFM about it. The answers were too short for me so I started a thread about it on www.SBFTech.com

Brian from AFM responded to the thread and in a nut shell, this is what its supposed to do.

For the 395.00 purchase price, you get the LOADio computer, a 90mm LMAF with adapter plug, Powerstak air filter and bell adapter.

I asked if with this product, you could install the LMAF and any size injector from 19lb to 50lb and have the car idle smooth and still provide the extra fuel needed. I was told yes.

You install the kit and down load the LOADio program from AFM. After that, you can download programs that tune the MAF for different size injectors from 19lb to 50lbs. Brian said that with this kit, you can tune it so your car idle smooth without the overly rich smell, then when you get into it, the injectors will act as the larger injectors that they are, providing you with the fuel you need.

The base tune that is in the larger injector program will get you up an running, then with the LOADio, you can fine tune the program at 40 different points to meet your needs. The only point it wont change is at start up, so with larger injectors you will probably still have a hot start or flooding issue.

The example I provided him was this:

I was under the impression that with the LOADio, that I wouldn't have the rich choking exhaust smell issue at idle while retaining the benefits of the larger injectors and MAF as need increased.

You said that the calibration can be adjusted after the program is loaded. So If I installed 42's with the LOADio, I would download the program for 42's from the AFM website and install it into the LOADio/MAF. After that, what adjustments can I make?

If after installing the base program for the larger injectors, I notice that it idles like a dream and the AF ratio is good until I get into boost (lets say 4000 rpm for a number) then it starts to lean out, can I adjust it so that it richen up the mixture at 4k and beyond without affecting the idle quality or mixture at lower RPM's?

The response I got from Brian was this:

Yes, you can! When you get a minute, check out the software for the LOADio on our website, it's free. Get a real feel for how it works.

On a side note, you're combo before, with the 24's, could have benefited from the LOADio as well. Unless, of course, there was an underlying mechanical problem at the same time that was magnified by the maf and injector change.

Food for thought - Often, not saying it was so in your case, a perceived rich condition at idle is in fact a lean condition which caused the engine to misfire putting un-burnt fuel into the exhaust and "smelling" rich.

So it seems like a good set up. Larger MAF and Injectors that will idle like stock, provide the extra fuel needed as the engine demands it and the ability to change injector size as needed. Seems like the only place you cant control is the fuel at start up and other EEC functions like timing ect....

The thread can be viewed here.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,3698.0.html

Brian stayed on top of it pretty well, so if you have other questions feel free to ask. As stated, I don't know much about this and I may be missing the big picture or not asking the right questions so it will still be a learning experience for me.