Paint and Body '86 Four Eye Headlight Fiberglass Assembly - Repair or Replace?

buckhr

Apr 18, 2020
indianapolis
Hi Everyone - I recently, and somewhat on a whim, bought an 86 5.0 T5 former SSP car (Cali Beach Patrol, the 'Beach Patrol' lettering is sunburned into the trunk deck lid :cool:). Its been run hard, put up wet, and needs some real TLC... I bought it from a 17yo kid who was planning to autocross it, and honestly I probably should have just let this one go. But alas, it sits in my garage begging me to work on it so here I am.

There was a noticeable gap on the passenger side fender-to-front bumper and clearly there had been some sort of damage at one point, but not enough to cause the steel bumper bump stops any deflection so I wasnt too worried. Tonight I pulled the bumper off and looking at the damage its worse than I hoped: the fiberglass headlight housing is cracked on both sides, multiple places. Pics are here:

Bumper gap to fender:
20200430_205806.jpg

Bumper intact
20200430_230807.jpg

Passenger side headlight misaligned due to damage, also note cutout in bumper below turn signal (no idea why, maybe someone trying for DIY GT fog lamps??)
20200430_231000.jpg

Passenger side fiberglass damage
20200430_230830.jpg

Drivers side damage to fiberglass
20200430_230855.jpg

So the question becomes: do I pop the rivets out, remove the headlight assembly and start repairing the fiberglass? Or look for a donor? I am having trouble finding anything for replacement of the actual headlight assembly, and no luck at my local auto salvage for a four eye donor right now either.

Anyone repaired one of these before?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

look for any numbers on the parts and search out match. The 'hdlght bezels' are hard for me to find (E3DB-13064-AWD...LH, RH) but E3SZ and D9Z3 are avail. Mine's the fox wagon tho (C sig below). Big vendr on this site (LMR) should be able to help you w/new. Only used or NOS 4 me...
Having other DDs can help. Plenty of patience here. No find? I'll JB weld up something that works.