• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

86 ttop doors

  • Thread starter Thread starter goldbomb79
  • Start date Start date Feb 19, 2004
G

goldbomb79

Member
Jun 4, 2003
374
0
16
Indiana
Feb 19, 2004
#1
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #1
what year and style of mustang has doors that will fit on an 86 gt ttop car?
 
G

goldbomb79

Member
Jun 4, 2003
374
0
16
Indiana
Feb 19, 2004
#2
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #2
come on someones gotta know.
 

EMW150

Founding Member
May 22, 2000
2,020
1
46
Roaring Spring,PA
Feb 19, 2004
#3
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #3
Some say convertible doors will work. Just went through that on an '87 LX w/T-tops. I got some mint '90 convertible doors. After getting done painting and rewired so I could get the windows up, I realized it would take too much work to get them to fit. Would have to switch the glass with the T-top door glass (The vert door glasses are about 2" short when you put them all the way up) and you would have to cut the upper portion of the T-top doors off (where the mirrors mount up) and fit and weld them to the vert doors. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Gotta find T-top doors or work with what you got. Going off different people saying "Oh yeah, vert doors will work". I never rewired and put them on the car till I was done painting. Big mistake.
 
G

goldbomb79

Member
Jun 4, 2003
374
0
16
Indiana
Feb 19, 2004
#4
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #4
ok thanks. I was wondering if vert doors would fit or not
 

TC93

Well-Known Member
Sep 11, 2000
2,075
1
57
Ellerslie GA 31807
Feb 19, 2004
#5
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #5
I put 87 vert doors on my 86 T-top. Had to swap out the glass and the bracket the glass is mounted to and it works great. Just be sure the vert doors have the mirror up by the a pillar and not on the door is self. Check out my sig on the last page, I did a small write up on what I did.. Haven't got any pics though, but will try to get some of the bracket I am talking about.
 

EMW150

Founding Member
May 22, 2000
2,020
1
46
Roaring Spring,PA
Feb 19, 2004
#6
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #6
Myke86GT said:
Just be sure the vert doors have the mirror up by the a pillar and not on the door is self.
Click to expand...

That's the difference. The vert doors I got had the mirrors on the door itself.
 

TC93

Well-Known Member
Sep 11, 2000
2,075
1
57
Ellerslie GA 31807
Feb 19, 2004
#7
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #7
EMW150 said:
That's the difference. The vert doors I got had the mirrors on the door itself.
Click to expand...


Thats the problem I had,, I looked for 6 months before I found a set. When doing the swap it looked like a regular(hatchback) window and the t-top where the same, but I didn't have a regular to compare side-by-side. But the t-top and vert window are definatley different,, compared side bye side, the vert window is shorter. And that little bracket I was refering to is bigger to make up the difference. When I did the swap I just changed the glass;,, it worked but the window would stick up out the door about 1/2" to 3/4" when rolled all the way down. That's when I figured out I had to change the bracket along with the window after some investigating... I need to find that bracket and get some pics on my site....
 
G

goldbomb79

Member
Jun 4, 2003
374
0
16
Indiana
Feb 19, 2004
#8
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #8
so, other than the glass not working, the 87 vert door will work as long as the mirror isn't on the door itself.
 

StangTtops88

New Member
Oct 1, 2003
38
0
0
Wichita, KS
Feb 19, 2004
#9
  • Feb 19, 2004
  • #9
Check out www.mustangttop.com Lots of good info there, and a forum to ask questions like this. There are several questions/answers already in there about this.
 

TC93

Well-Known Member
Sep 11, 2000
2,075
1
57
Ellerslie GA 31807
Feb 20, 2004
#10
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #10
goldbomb79 said:
so, other than the glass not working, the 87 vert door will work as long as the mirror isn't on the door itself.
Click to expand...

Yep....plus the moulding being different. If you have the 86 1/4 windows it will have a little mis-match on the trim by the glass, where it meets the 1/4 glass. I swapped mine out to newer 1/4 glass and that is one of the reasons I wanted newer doors....
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Engine 86 GT no start/stall
  • nweber
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
215
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 29, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
For Sale 1984-1986 GT GAUGE CLUSTER TRIM PANEL
  • jiminecricket
  • Apr 27, 2026
  • Interior Exterior Parts
Replies
0
Views
220
Interior Exterior Parts Apr 27, 2026
jiminecricket
J
R
Door Panels
  • RGP413
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
106
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
Engine Tuning...?
  • justadude07
  • May 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
336
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2026
Qtrhrse23
S
Brakes 80 Mustang 4.2 rear chassis brake line for 5 lug conversion!
  • StangPowerLSX510
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
135
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 9, 2026
limp
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?