'87-'93 Headlights, what's good?

LX Dave

5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
Bought this headlight kit for the Mustang thinking it would be good:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-011-fr121-6a/overview/year/1987/make/ford/model/mustang

The first indication I should have returned them was the big "Made in China" sticker on the box. I e-mailed Steeda and asked them if it was really their product and they replied yes, it was. I then replied that I was disappointed they would sell China headlight housings. No reply.

Well, the side markers didn't fit that great (had to remove a lot of flashing to get them to sit correct), then do some shimming on the outer markers.

Now when I try to adjust the headlights, I can't get the beam up to where it's supposed to be. I'm shining for night crawlers. Had everything apart a couple of times and can only figure the housings are no good. Besides having the beam too low, the drivers side beam is projecting to the right out of the housing, not straight. The housings are tilted up so far, the front of the car just looks like crap now. The housings are not even close to being aligned with each other. I even shimmed the inside turn signal housing to try to make it look better.

I have all three adjusters installed and they are almost maxed out to get the light up. I'm done with these and looking for a pair of housings that I can actually aim correctly. Checked with Ford and they said "Obsolete, can't get". What are my options for good quality housings? I would like to stick with the three piece factory look, but would consider a crystal clear lens if they're good.

These are the others I'm looking at, but am not sure of the quality:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ipc-cws-532/overview/year/1987/make/ford/model/mustang

Any help is greatly appreciated
Dave

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have the LRS housings on my car, and I find them to be ok. Disclaimer though...I don't drive in the rain or at night so no idea how they shine at night.

SOME of the lights are available NOS on ebay. The parking lights are somewhat reasonable if looking for OEM stuff that fits well. The actual headlamp assemblies however are harder to find. Over the years I managed to put together an entire set minus one headlight. When I do my total resto one day...i'll install them

Part numbers are listed in this overpriced auction if you want to search for them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=112988282068

But, example of individual light you can find
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=273243374027

Last edited:
Doesbyour headlight have this sticker on top? If so, good chance they are all made by same vendor

IMG_8236.JPG

One of our members does full head light, tail light, marker light restorations.

@95steedamustang
Thanks man. I hoard and restore oem lights. I have about 30 sets of 87-93 put back. I have never found any aftermarket light to fit like oem and they all seem to cloud up over time...so I don’t use anything but originals.

Part numbers are listed in this overpriced auction if you want to search for them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=112988282068

Ouch, those better come with a "happy ending" too...and charging shipping on top of that.

The ones I got have that yellow don't move it sticker on them. Most of the ones I've found have that too, so I just assumed they were all the same thing.

Thanks man. I hoard and restore oem lights. I have about 30 sets of 87-93 put back. I have never found any aftermarket light to fit like oem and they all seem to cloud up over time...so I don’t use anything but originals.

Are you saying you got some for sale? Pm me if you do. I do not have the originals if you need cores.

I may have to make do with the ones I got until I can get some actual Ford ones again. If anything, there's a local guy that parts out Mustangs so I could check with him too. Don't know what condition they are in if he's got any.

Had a thought last night so went out this morning to verify it. If I unlock the bulb retainer and pull up on the connector the bulb itself moves down. The beam on the wall moved up quite a bit and actually looks like it's projecting a better beam, not scattered all over. Hmmm..I wonder if with the heat gun, I can heat the back enough to reposition the bulb and get a more correct beam pattern until I can locate some Ford housings. Gonna have to give it a try. If it doesn't work, they're junk anyways. What have I got to lose?

I replaced my 3pc headlights with new OEM style units from LMR. They look nice, installed OK, suck for adjusting. My lights shine at the ground too close to the car and will not adjust to project out. I don't do much night driving and when I do it's on streets that are pretty well lit anyways. I'm looking in to better options but haven't made my mind up on anything.

Good luck.

One older thread I was reading, a poster said he was shining owls and ufos. Now another pointed right at the ground. The aftermarket ones really seem to be hit or miss.

I picked up a set of taillight covers from CJ Pony because they said they were made with Ford tooling. Fit was perfect and they look great. I am very happy with them.

Why can't an American manufacturer make front end lights to factory spec?? If the look, function and aiming was as good or better than factory, I bet people would be willing to pay a higher price for them. I know I would.

i have the LRS headlight 3 piece kit...fits good if you put them on in the recommended order. also, dont use aftermarket headlight seals (the ones that go around the top exterior of the headlight) should be good to go

I have the LMR lights as well and couldnt get them adjusted correctly. When I drive at night the high beams are on at all times in order to get the lights far enough in front of me.

Same thing here. High beams whenever I could. Almost hit a deer, a possum, and who knows what else I didn't see when I had to use low beams. That would've really sucked considering the cars got fresh paint.

HID projector retrofit in a clear headlight housing with OEM type parking lamps has always been on my To-do list. Paint the reflector black and you have a nice projector setup with improved lighting.

Downside Is it's totally a DIY job.

HID projector retrofit in a clear headlight housing with OEM type parking lamps has always been on my To-do list. Paint the reflector black and you have a nice projector setup with improved lighting.

Downside Is it's totally a DIY job.
I agree and painting everything black is a must for function as well for looks. When the projectors are too visible I think it looks terrible on our foxbody's. I also think that the tinted/smoked lenses would work well with these lights because HID's are very very bright.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree and painting everything black is a must for function as well for looks. When the projectors are too visible I think it looks terrible on our foxbody's. I also think that the tinted/smoked lenses would work well with these lights because HID's are very very bright.

@elarm1 did it right. That's about the only one I've seen that looks good. I think paint matters too, would look way out of place on my white GT

Reactions: 1 user