87 Convertible pump and cylinder replacement

catsailr

May 24, 2020
Tennessee
I ordered a new pump, lines, and cylinders for my 87 Mustang convertible. Found a video on replacing these for 94-04 and thought in would be similar. Could not find anything on replacing these for the Fox body. The main difference is there are steel panels on each side that have to be removed. The hardest part was that each panel has 3 pop rivets attaching it to the floor. I did get the pump, lines, and cylinders installed yesterday and the top is working. Still haven't installed the side panels and seats yet..

• Sponsors (?)

My 83 has a similar panel
You don't have to remove the Panel.
With the roof closed remove the pin connecting the cylinder piston rod to the roof frame mechanism and retract the Cylinders. Remove the nut and the pivot pin bracket holding the cylinder on to the frame.
You should be able to drop the cylinder down where it will come out the Bottom to give you access to the remove and replace the lines, just make sure you pass the new lines inside the frame. Be careful fitting the new lines many of the early original cylinders the fitting tread into a plastic bushing on the cylinder and it is very easy to strip the threads out of the bushing and you will have to replace the cylinder. Plus it is much easier to bleed the cylinders with them removed from the frame

Last edited: