9" rear needs new clutches - where to get?

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
A friend of mine recently picked up a 67 FB and we have been going through it making repairs and upgrades etc. He has a 9" rear end with worn clutches and is having trouble getting the correct clutch replace parts. The car is currently in a shop owned by a trused friend to do the rear end clutch replacement. Using the numbers from the rear chunk, he has ordered parts from both Mustangs Unlimited as well as Ford parts only to receive what appear to be clutches for an 8" rearend. I spent some time on Ultrastangs site last night and am sure this is a 9" rear end, but cannot tell much else about it and was hoping someone on Stangnet could help identify and set us on the right path. Here are some pics of the rear end and chunk:

2161687_132_full.jpg

2161687_133_full.jpg

2161687_134_full.jpg

The number on the pic above is: C7AW-E 33

2161687_135_full.jpg

Unfortunately, I cannot make out the number on the chunk case, but hoping someone will know what it is by all the pics.

2161687_137_full.jpg

2161687_136_full.jpg

Would be great if someone could tell me everything they can about this rear end and which part number to order for clutch replace ment. One last thing, the shop owner thinks the rear end had been narrowed based on one of the axles apparently have been shortened. Probably came out of a truck and needed to be sized for the Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks pretty much like a 9" rear from a 57-59 Ford, with a later made chunk. The telling point between an 8 & 9 inch rear is the two bottom chunk holes. With an 8 you can remove the retaining nuts with a socket and ratchet. With a 9, only an end wrench will work. Traction Loc rebuild kits can be ordered from Summit Racing in several brands, Ford Racing included.

Well apparently the differential unit is an Equalock and not a Traction Loc. Of course these clutch kits are tough to find. Currie does not carry them. I did find a site that lists them for $119. Anyone familiar with this unit? Is it worth a rebuild of the clutches or should he cut bait and move to a Taction Loc? He would prefer to go the cheaper route, but is also thinking long range if this rear end is just not a good unit to have in his car.
Posted via Mobile Device

How about it, anyone familiar with the equalok? Is it worth a rebuild? Got a price of just $420 for a 9" diff with Traction lok, all new everything except gears are "good used". I have purchased from this vendore before and his diff's are setup nice, good tooth pattern and no noise. Right now he is leaning this way since the cost is likely a wash by the time the mechanic adds labor to rebuild the equalok.
Posted via Mobile Device