Electrical 92 Mustang GT - Mystery Harness found behind Fuse Panel

Mrg2783

5 Year Member
Apr 1, 2018
Newport Beach
Hello,

I am chasing a short that is blowing fuse #13.

I found this harness not connected to anything. It is wrapped in with the head light and cluster wires/harnesses.

Anyone know what it is for? I can't seem to find anywhere that it plugs in. Is it possibly a diagnostic harness?

Trying to make sure it's not causing the short before I start pulling my stereo and the lighter. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180803_205121.jpg
    20180803_205121.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180803_194239.jpg
    20180803_194239.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

Please post the wire colors with the solid color and stripe color along with the model year of your car. They help identify the circuit and its function. Do not depend on a photograph to do the job, since the camera and then the device the photo is viewed on can alter the color presentation. Clean the wires with some solvent before trying to identify them.

A very wild guess would be the interval governor for the windshield wipers or the cruse control computer.

Please post the wire colors with the solid color and stripe color along with the model year of your car. They help identify the circuit and its function. Do not depend on a photograph to do the job, since the camera and then the device the photo is viewed on can alter the color presentation. Clean the wires with some solvent before trying to identify them.

A very wild guess would be the interval governor for the windshield wipers or the cruse control computer.

Thanks for the help,

In order:
Black
Gray/Blue stripe
Purple/Orange stripe
Black/Yellow stripe
Gray/Blue stripe

I have a code 29 VSS that wont go away even after replacing the sensor. I think you're right on the Cruisecontrol. It's never worked.

let me know what you think based on the colors. Thank you.

Thanks for the help,

In order:
Black
Gray/Blue stripe
Purple/Orange stripe
Black/Yellow stripe
Gray/Blue stripe

I have a code 29 VSS that wont go away even after replacing the sensor. I think you're right on the Cruisecontrol. It's never worked.

let me know what you think based on the colors. Thank you.

Car is a 92 GT Convertible

Car is a 92 GT Convertible
From the wire colors it looks like a rear window defrost control relay controller. Being that your location is California, the car probably didn't have the grid of red stripes across the rear window glass. The switch for the defroster was right under the hazard warning switch. Cool option for the sneaky control of a N02 solenoid off/on.

Last edited:
From the wire colors it looks like a rear window defrost control relay controller. Being that your location is California, the car probably didn't have the grid of red stripes across the rear window glass. The switch for the defroster was right under the hazard warning switch. Cool option for the sneaky control of a N02 solenoid off/on.

Ok that makes sense, I do not have rear defrost....I did notice some of the wiring colors match the hazard switch so makes total sense.

So in short, that is just an unused harness and doesn't connect to anything... is this right?

Ok that makes sense, I do not have rear defrost....I did notice some of the wiring colors match the hazard switch so makes total sense.

So in short, that is just an unused harness and doesn't connect to anything... is this right?
That is correct. You can tap the power wire to power some other 5-10 amp device . It is only live when the ignition switch is in the Run position.