93 cobra tail lights

• Sponsors (?)

the stripes are 1/8"
spacing is the hard part unless you're familiar with them, and the lower middle stripe isn't as long as the others.

You don't have to be perfect. I mean the average mustanger will never be able to tell. The spacing on the cobra isn't even in reality. The top section has a bigger gap from the bottom stripe to the large bar in the middle of the taillight.

I just did mine the easy way. It's 3 stripes in each section. So i put one stripe dead center and then the other two dead center of the area below and above the center strip.

Yes, the middle stripe doesn't go all the way around the outside of the light. But i always thought that looked stupid. SO when i did my light up, i made the stripe wrap around.

Like i said, nobody really knows enough to be able to tell. Not like guys will come up to you with rulers and measure the gaps. I've gotten plenty of compliments on my taillights just putting the three strips in each section centered

My lights
Taillights.jpg

Taillights2.jpg

I didn't really do anything special. I polished the tails using plastic polish and then painted the center bar. After that i made sure they were clean and applied the stripe and then waxed them up.

I had the same fear of the stripe peeling after some carwashes but i have pressure washed the car with direct pressure on the tails and the stripes are holding perfectly. If i were to even try to peel them off it would take some effort

Ditto. But I've seen lots of people try to start them at the top, which is a stpid idea :p

Also, i've seen lots of people who haven't cut the middle/lower stripe.

some of mine:
cobras1.jpg

cobra taillights

mike
did you polish them before you put the stripe on? I've got some meguires cleaner which i did but i was going to stripe them before i polish them because wont the stripe stick better to the lense? what kind of paint did you use on the center bar? thanks jason

Yes i did polish them before i striped them up. I just made sure that after polishing i cleaned them up very well afterwards with some windex or some cleaner. After you polish the lens it should be the cleanest right there since you polished away all the imperfections. That's when i striped my lenses. Like i said before, if i were to try to peel them off it would take some effort because they are really stuck on there well.

I just used some simple automotive spray paint. I sanded them down, taped off the lens and sprayed light coats. I did this before polishing because any overspray i cleaned up with carb cleaner and that sometimes leaves a haze. Of course if you tape well, you won't need to worry.

Oh one small fact about the tails. They sit about 1/2" in towards the car so when you shut your hatch they will look like they are sucked in. That's how they are on real cobras so you'll have to deal with it. Looked weird at first but I got used to them