Engine 93 Timing Issues

John3

May 22, 2018
Pa
Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping someone can provide some help. I have aproject car that I bought and it doesn’t run well. Rough idle, lack of power, and stalling. I’ve been chasing issues on this car for some time now.

This car has TFS heads and a E303 cam. I’m starting to wonder if the cam wasn’t installed right or maybe the distributor wasn’t installed right. Maybe the balancer is wrong?

so I have the spout out to check the timing andim showing the initial timing as way over advanced. It’s actually showing above30 which doesn’t seem right because I don’t have any pinging issues. I tried to get some a pic as I might come off as a crazy noob on this. You can see the pointer is past 30 and would appear to be around 40 if it had mark

Attachments

• 1B6CDCA9-5C28-4AB6-9699-48140A7C0631.jpeg
    1B6CDCA9-5C28-4AB6-9699-48140A7C0631.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Sponsors (?)

Start with the basics, pull the #1 plug and bring the piston to top dead center on the compression stroke. Pointer should be at 0*. Set rotor at #1 on the distributor, start the engine and set the timing starting at 12* and see how it runs.

Ok so I verified the balancer was good by bring the #1 cylinder to TDC and the balancer was at 0.

I happen to have a 2nd 5.0 sittin and decided to swap distributors. Bingo theengine now runs 100xs better. I think either TFI or PIP was bad. The TFI was an after market brand.

I have been chasing problems with this car for 3 years now. I have found and fixed some many issues from the previous owner when he redid the motor and top end.

I don’t want to jinx myself here but I might actually get to drive this car!

Reactions: 1 users