94 Gt Smoking Battery Cable

KC802

Sep 23, 2017
Car: 94 gt 5.0
Hi,looking for some help with a smoking battery cable,its the small neg cable on the battery.
Here's what's happening: installed a few new parts,cap+ rotor and new coil,plugs wires, Tried starting the car but it did not fire,turned over nice and fast but no fire. So I had a look around the engine and noticed I had the distributor harness un plugged,so I plugged it in and tried to fire it up again thinking it should start now.
After a few seconds of cranking the engine, the starter instantly started turning very slow and erratic and that's when I noticed smoke from the engine bay,I discovered the small ground wire off the main battery ground was smoking. Now I'm curious if the dist. Being unplugged had anything to do with it,or if the starter can just go bad like that?

My next step I'm thinking just buy a new starter and cables and see what happens,anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Car: 94 gt 5.0
Hi,looking for some help with a smoking battery cable,its the small neg cable on the battery.
Here's what's happening: installed a few new parts,cap+ rotor and new coil,plugs wires, Tried starting the car but it did not fire,turned over nice and fast but no fire. So I had a look around the engine and noticed I had the distributor harness un plugged,so I plugged it in and tried to fire it up again thinking it should start now.
After a few seconds of cranking the engine, the starter instantly started turning very slow and erratic and that's when I noticed smoke from the engine bay,I discovered the small ground wire off the main battery ground was smoking. Now I'm curious if the dist. Being unplugged had anything to do with it,or if the starter can just go bad like that?

My next step I'm thinking just buy a new starter and cables and see what happens,anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Purpose of that small black ground wire is to ensure adequate grounding at the battery itself for the computer. If a poor connection between the battery main ground cable and it's ground point occurred, the small wire tried to carry part, or all, of the starter current. It's small size would have dropped a significant part of the voltage which should have been available at the starter, caused the wire to get very hot, and also was responsible for the starter slowing way down.

Best would be to replace the entire battery ground cable, making sure the replacement has the small wire factory-attached to the battery terminal. Make sure the small wire is grounded to shiny clean body metal, and the main heavy cable is properly tightened at it's far end, usually directly under a starter mounting bolt. imp

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks alot for the info,iv been searching for a replacment cable online but dont see much for the 94, but alot for the 93-.
I was about to order a new starter but i will try just replacing the neg battery cable first.

Couple pics
IMG_8068.JPG
IMG_8067.JPG
^ Thanks, thats what iv been thinking,replace both the + and - cables and install a new starter just to be on the safe side,my garage is attached to the house so a fire would not be cool lol.Im thinking about that sve i think its called? Starter From lmr.com
Iv owned the car for 3 months only drove it once back home after purchase,done pretty much every maint. Item i could think of,pretty pumped to actually get it road worthy and drive it.

IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8107.JPG
IMG_8108.JPG
Hey guys,so i installed all brand new + and - cables,installed a new starter and im still having a weak crank and super hot
Small neg cable at the battery,any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanks for any input.

Also I remember when I installed the main battery ground to the block on the timing cover,it didn't look so clean,I tried scuffing up the stud on the timing cover but it didn't help much.
Is there a better location than the timing cover for the neg battery ground,that's prob my entire issue but I'm not sure if/where to swap it to.

SOLVED ****
But now another question from it lol. So it was barely turning over not firing hardly at all,re did the starter and battery cables,no help.
The problem was all the spark plug wires were off by one on the cap but I'm not sure if they were or not lol.
When I just recently installed new plugs and wires I looked up the firing order and it all seems to say start plugs 1 and 3 to the right of the dist cap clip. So I did that and had these problems. If I rotate all the wires on the cap counter clockwise by one the car fires right up.
SO....... is something off in my dist or should I run them 1 step counterclockwise from what I'm seeing searching google it says I'm off by one.

Sounds like you super-advanced the timing by being off about 45 degrees. That could certainly cause some cranking problems, though that's so far out of whack I'm surprised you also weren't spitting fire out of the intake.

The relative position of the wires to the cap isn't meaningful, it's their position relative to the rotor that matters. Our cars are 20+ years old, no telling where things were aligned when a distributor was removed & replaced for example. Get yourself and old-fashioned timing light and adjust from there, you can assume that the position of the wires where it 'cranks and fires right up' is a lot closer than the other spot.

Brighter side, those are some nice looking wires & grounds now.

Karthief thanks I will do that and snap a pic

Joz thanks for the input,I'll pick up a timing light this weekend and give it a go.this is my first experience working on a car with this type of dist/ignition. And yeah I got all new grounds cleaned up,they were just painted over by prev owner lol and a new starter damn it,should run great once I get it sorted out. Thanks again

IMG_8112.JPG
IMG_8113.JPG
Alright well i got it as close to tdc as i could,pulled the plug and used a pencil. The rotor is pretty much pointing to the cap clip and the #1 plug is about 2 spaces off it seems. So when i put the wires 1 off counter clockwise it was putting it closer to tdc and it actually started and ran. So pretty much my timing is way off causing it to only run when i move the plugs counter clockwise? Im pretty much a noob to v8s but i think i could tackle setting the timing correctly.. i hope lol.