94 mustang wont start

Nick2687

Mar 19, 2010
I just started looking over my girlfriends 94 mustang, I put a new battery in it as the one she left in it a year and a half ago when she put it into storage was dead.
After putting the new battery in the car all the lights would come on, same with the radio, but when I turned the ignition the starter wouldn't crack, there was no click, nothing. The only thing that happened was the lights dimmed like it was attempting to send power over to the starter but it wasn't receiving it.

Where should I start looking for this issue? Should I start right at the starter, or could it be an ignition switch?

The car is a 94 with the 3.8 v6 and a auto trans.

Thanks for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Ensure that the motor is not "locked up". It sounds like the starter is trying to turn the motor over but it can't.

Use a large socket wrench to turn the motor over by hand (clockwise only). If the motor can not be turned over, suspect hydro-locking or internal rusting.

If the motor can be turned over by hand, suspect a starter problem. First ensure that all electrical connections to the starter and battery are clean and tight.