98 gt. Fuel problems! NEED HELP!!

stanglover0526

Mar 1, 2009
missouri
I have a 1998 gt and its been down n power and cutting in and out and has a miss at idle. The exhaust is very strong and sometimes has smoke because its so rich. it is throwing a code for the b2s1 O2 sensor. I replaced the o2 sensor with a new boshe unit. Didnt help anything.:mad: It is still throwing the code and i dont know what it is.:( HELP ME!! I just bought the car and cant enjoy it until i get it fixed. You guys have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Please post the FULL DTC codes. There are hundreds of codes and they each have a story to tell. Your local autoparts store will do it for FREE.

While you are at the store, get yourself some MAF cleaner. Use it to clean the MAF.

In the mean time, check your fuses.

Check for vacuum leaks. How old are the spark plugs?

Check for exhaust leaks. Especially around the EGR tube. As an exhaust leak will cause a chronic rich conditon.

1) Which oxygen sensor did you replace? Driver's side or passenger? (B2 is the driver's side, FWIW...)

2) Check the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure it's properly connected at both ends.

the specific codes it is throwing is p1151 for the bank 2 sensor 1 and a p1260 which says theft vehicle imobalozed?

i replaced the drivers side o2.

it also seems to have trouble starting. Its worse after the car has been sitting all night but starts only a little easier after its been driven

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch

Any exhaust leaks? Especially around the EGR tube?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? For a lean condition, a vacuum leak is the #1 cause. Don't cut corners here. If a tiny air leak will cause problems. However, with the reported symptom, the leak is likely to be HUGE.

Also mentioned is the vacuum reference line to the fuel regulator. Does this car have an aftermarket regulator? Check the fuel return line for blockage or kinks.

Have you cleaned the MAF using only a product designed for the job?

>>From Ford service CD
P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.
See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1130 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit

The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The test fails when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
Water in harness connector
Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

A fuel control HO2S PID switching across 0.45 volt from 0.2 to 0.9 volt indicates a normal switching HO2S.

Well i cleaned the MAF and checked the fuses that i know to check and it didnt help. I looked real fast for a vac leak but didnt find one. I will look at it in further detail when i get the time. Ive got a trip planned to england so i wont be able to work on it for awhile. Keep brainstorming and post any ideas you guys might have Thanks!

Do you have an aftermarket chip in it?

You said your O2 upstream on Bank 2 is registering rich right? So what does that tell you? It's most likely somewhere on bank 2 where your problem is. What's not common in Bank 2? Spark plug, plug wire and possibly the coil pack for that cylinder. My guess is a faulty spark plug or bad plug wire, not delivering a good spark so not burning all the fuel hence rich...

Btw, next time before you spend $60 for an O2 sensor, swap S1 and S2 (both upstream sensors), reset your computer (gasp!) and see if the code follows to the other side. If it does, spend the money. If not, check what could be making the sensor read rich.

Also, I asked about the chip cause you are throwing a theft code... not important.

If its reading lean on that bank then most likely the intake gasket where it meets the cylinder head is leaking on that side or you could have an exhaust leak before the O2 on that bank as well

You know, I just read the first OP and he mentioned rich and smell of fuel so I naturally went for the rich condition. After reading the code and seeing what's up, I think his EVAP system could be messed up. Maybe his purge solenoid is stuck open or something. That's why he can smell fuel and his car is running lean...

You know, I just read the first OP and he mentioned rich and smell of fuel so I naturally went for the rich condition. After reading the code and seeing what's up, I think his EVAP system could be messed up. Maybe his purge solenoid is stuck open or something. That's why he can smell fuel and his car is running lean...

purge solenoid would throw lean codes on both banks

Any exhaust leaks especially on the left side (Bank 2). Pay special attention to the EGR tube. DOUBLE check the vacuum lines to/from the DPFE sensor. The exhaust gas is hard on rubber parts. These lines are very hard to inspect due to interference from the Firewall.

Any intake vacuum leaks? Consider getting a propane based leak detector. I have never been a fan of spraying carb/coke cleaner all over a motor. The solvents can damage gaskets thus trading one problem for another.

Amazon.com: Vacuum Leak Detector: Automotive

Pay attention to any vacuum leak sources that can affect only bank 2. Such as the left side intake manifold or left side valve cover gaskets.

Have you tested the fuel pressure?

Any tests at all?

>>>from Ford service CD (96).
H41 DTCs P0172, P0174, P0171 AND P0175: FUEL SYSTEM AT THE CORRECTED ADAPTIVE LIMITS
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank (1) (cylinder #1) and DTC P0174 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel adaptive system is at the rich correction limit.

DTC P0172 bank (1) and DTC P0175 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel adaptive system is at the lean correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:
-- HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172
-- HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175

Possible causes:

Fuel system
-- Excessive fuel pressure.
-- Leaking fuel injector(s).
-- Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
-- Low fuel pressure.
-- Contaminated injector(s)

Induction system-- Air leaks after the MAF.
-- Vacuum leaks.
-- Restricted air inlet.
-- PCV system.
-- Fuel purge system.
-- Improperly seated dip stick.

EGR-- Leaking gasket.
-- Stuck open EGR valve.
-- Leaking diaphragm.

Base engine-- Oil overfill.
-- Cam timing.
-- Cylinder compression.
-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S's.

l Check air intake for leaks, obstructions and damage.
l Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.
l Verify integrity of the PCV system.
l Check for vacuum leaks.

Any exhaust leaks especially on the left side (Bank 2). Pay special attention to the EGR tube. DOUBLE check the vacuum lines to/from the DPFE sensor. The exhaust gas is hard on rubber parts. These lines are very hard to inspect due to interference from the Firewall.

Any intake vacuum leaks? Consider getting a propane based leak detector. I have never been a fan of spraying carb/coke cleaner all over a motor. The solvents can damage gaskets thus trading one problem for another.

Amazon.com: Vacuum Leak Detector: Automotive

Pay attention to any vacuum leak sources that can affect only bank 2. Such as the left side intake manifold or left side valve cover gaskets.

Have you tested the fuel pressure?

Any tests at all?

>>>from Ford service CD (96).
H41 DTCs P0172, P0174, P0171 AND P0175: FUEL SYSTEM AT THE CORRECTED ADAPTIVE LIMITS
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank (1) (cylinder #1) and DTC P0174 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel adaptive system is at the rich correction limit.

DTC P0172 bank (1) and DTC P0175 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel adaptive system is at the lean correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:
-- HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172
-- HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175

Possible causes:

Fuel system
-- Excessive fuel pressure.
-- Leaking fuel injector(s).
-- Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
-- Low fuel pressure.
-- Contaminated injector(s)

Induction system-- Air leaks after the MAF.
-- Vacuum leaks.
-- Restricted air inlet.
-- PCV system.
-- Fuel purge system.
-- Improperly seated dip stick.

EGR-- Leaking gasket.
-- Stuck open EGR valve.
-- Leaking diaphragm.

Base engine-- Oil overfill.
-- Cam timing.
-- Cylinder compression.
-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S's.

l Check air intake for leaks, obstructions and damage.
l Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.
l Verify integrity of the PCV system.
l Check for vacuum leaks.

I havent had a chance to do anything yet. I had alot to get ready for the trip over seas but now im back and will start to do all the test. Thanks!