98 Mustang GT - Starting/Running Problem???

csudhoff

Dec 23, 2006
Having some problems with our 98 Mustang Gt 4.6 V8... everything has been great with the car. I am experiancing the following problem and I believe its the battery but wanted to make sure.

Here is whats happening:
1. insert key
2. turn ignition
3. car starts
4. RPMs immediatly drop like and the car dies, engine shuts off.

I noticed the battery terminals were very corroaded, I cleaned them with a wire brush and still same problem. I think the battery has never been replaced. My g/f bought the car new in 98 and it has 98K on the car.

Any ideas? Am I correct about a possible new battery? Any other things I should be looking at?
Any help is appriciated!

Thanks in advance!
Craig - I'm new here by the way :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The IAC is failing on you. You can take it off and give it a cleaning to see if that helps. I cleaned mine over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

If you need a picture of where this is located, just ask :nice:

The IAC is failing on you. You can take it off and give it a cleaning to see if that helps. I cleaned mine over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

If you need a picture of where this is located, just ask :nice:

Thanks so much for the heads up, I think I know where this is. Can you post a pic of it to be sure?

Also did you just unbolt it, clean and reinstall?

Thanks again!:hail2:

I have been feeling a bit under the weather the past few days, today I had a chance to pull off the IAC and give it a cleaning. It was very dirty and i reinstalled it. I am still having the same problem as described above.

I also checked the MAF as well and I unpluged it and repluged the connector. BTW the MAF was replaced about a year ago.

Any other ideas?