99 3.8 Camshaft

Electric57

Jan 21, 2018
I have a 99 mustang 3.8 my mechanic says it needs a camshaft. I can not find a stock replacement . I have looked at all the normal places and online with no results. Where can i locate one.

• Sponsors (?)

I personally would like to hear the back story on this one. I'm confused in HOW the cam shaft has failed and it's the only part needed. Because frankly I would have thought anything that would take out the cam shaft itself would also need a complete timing set as part of the repair.

A mild upgraded Comp cam would run about $350.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...t_Code=44-700-9&Category_Code=FORD466Cams3842

IMO that's a lot of $$ if the goal is to just fix the motor for DD use. If this were my project I would consider buying a WHOLE salvage yard motor and raid it for parts. This option has the advantage that IF it turns out to need additional parts, there's a ready supply.

Depending upon what's wrong with the original engine, maybe a whole replacement is a better option.

Try searching car-part.com for salvage yards in your area with whole donor engines.

Reactions: 1 user