99 3.8 Rebuild manuals

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
If you are planning on doing a total rebuild of your Mustang’s 3.8l V-6, there are several references to help you along. To answer your question, A Chiltons (Shop Manual) or a Ford specific reference for your vehicle are highly useful, SN is useful in all capacities..
Can stop there, but happy to help in greater detail if you’d like to add specifics to the post.
For instance..
1) Is this simply a high mileage project you wish to go through, or are there other reasons you wish to tackle this?
2) Are there any issues with the motor or transmission, drivetrain, electrical, or other areas, now? Noises, power loss, burning oil, poor performance, etc?
If your specific answer is above, all good. If you desire, please feel free to follow up & we’ll clarify things if you desire, again.. happy to help!
Best of luck, regardless!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,
If you are planning on doing a total rebuild of your Mustang’s 3.8l V-6, there are several references to help you along. To answer your question, A Chiltons (Shop Manual) or a Ford specific reference for your vehicle are highly useful, SN is useful in all capacities..
Can stop there, but happy to help in greater detail if you’d like to add specifics to the post.
For instance..
1) Is this simply a high mileage project you wish to go through, or are there other reasons you wish to tackle this?
2) Are there any issues with the motor or transmission, drivetrain, electrical, or other areas, now? Noises, power loss, burning oil, poor performance, etc?
If your specific answer is above, all good. If you desire, please feel free to follow up & we’ll clarify things if you desire, again.. happy to help!
Best of luck, regardless!
Cheers!
This is a sandrail motor. It was smoking. I did a compression check and the numbers were all over the place. 60-160 compression. I've pulled it apart. Hoping to get the parts into the machine shop next week. Not looking for anything crazy. Just a bit more zip. I like turbos. I have a lot of experience with them in the vw world. To me, less "harsh" horsepower. I'm just looking for a decent manual on putting it back together. Lol

Hi,
The manuals listed will give you the specifications you desire, great to hear you have a good machine shop you can trust.. use them as a resource as well. The tools you may not have, I.e. Torquewrench, etc. are easily acquired. Spend a few extra bucks on good internal fasteners, such as ARP, replace any wear components, and the like.
There’s a few spots to acquire Turbo’s for the V6’s, much more than even 5 years ago- use caution regarding where you purchase, get all the specifications and suggested modifications from the source of the kit you select before acquiring parts, share & communicate this clearly with the machine shop regarding your plans, any reputable automotive shop wants a happy ending, lol.
Transmission Manual/Auto? Good idea to do what you need while it’s apart, rather than later.. know you want it done, but leave no stone unturned..
Best of luck, lots of resources here, don’t hesitate..you need only ask.
Best!

Last edited: