99 5.0 explorer with awd. Any good?

bjl95mustang

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2000
Austin,TX
Well, insted of selling my engine I opted to get a loan and buy a dd.

Seeing as I allready have a loan on a $19k excape for my mom I had to use eloan.com. My intrest rate was cheaper on the excape for me than my parents.

So with my loan they said I had to find a 98+ car with less then 100k on it.

I found a mint 99 explorer limited loaded with every option for $7k with 92 k on it. it's booked at $10k+. I got my payments at $141 a month.

Now it has an awd setup on it and I'm curious on how this compares to a 4x4 setup with the knob on the dash.

Thanks,
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

whell my brother has one, and it has the 5.0 engine. Its a great truck, but its slow in stock form. as you would expect. the downside to the full time awd is gas miledge. However they can be made fast quite easily, with a better exhaust and a cam you got a powerful engine.....that stock explorer cam is as flat as a pencil. I've also had the pleasure of riding in a stock looking one with a 347 stroker, afr heads, and a kenne bell.....what a sleeper. wow

I believe the difference between 4x4 and AWD is sort of a convention among the car makers. They generally use 4x4 as a name for a system designed for heavy off road use, and they usually are part time use (switcheable on and off). While AWD generally suggests a system that is always on. Since it's always on, AWD is generally designed to be a bit lighter duty to reduce operating friction and increase fuel economy (compared to a 4x4 system).

But these terms are not defined anywhere, and car makers are free to bend their use as they please.

I'm not worried about the gas milage too much. I drove it yesterday and it had some good pickup. I got the carfax and the original owners paid cash for it then when they moved to texas they traded it in at the delar and it's been there sence.

Man it has everything even a little computer that tells you when to change the oil and if everything is ok on the engine.

I've got a 98 and I've never had a problem with it after a year now. The motor is stout. I made a custom y-pipe to join the exhaust and threw a 50 series flowmaster on it. Sounds real healthy. Small little interior things I've had to fix but nothing extreme. I say go for it.

Jeremy