• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum

99 Cobra Headers

  • Thread starter Thread starter mustangfo
  • Start date Start date Mar 28, 2007
M

mustangfo

New Member
Apr 11, 2005
26
0
1
Jacksonville
Mar 28, 2007
#1
  • Mar 28, 2007
  • #1
I just got this car and I am thinking of getting some headers since it already has mufflers on. I was wondering which ones was the best for my car and what is the difference with long tube and shorties.
Thanks
 

99CobraJMS

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2001
1,545
0
36
Austin
Mar 30, 2007
#2
  • Mar 30, 2007
  • #2
shorties will cost you like $850 for headerss and install and get you maybe 3-4 Horses if that much. I know I did it and dyno'd before and after.

I got Hooker LTs, when I added Blower.
 
M

mustangfo

New Member
Apr 11, 2005
26
0
1
Jacksonville
Mar 31, 2007
#3
  • Mar 31, 2007
  • #3
Is the Ford Racing headers any good. i was looking that those online
 

99CobraJMS

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2001
1,545
0
36
Austin
Apr 15, 2007
#4
  • Apr 15, 2007
  • #4
that is what I had for the 3-4 horses. So not worth the cost IMO.
 
0

01Steeda

New Member
May 29, 2005
732
0
0
Baton Rouge, LA
Apr 15, 2007
#5
  • Apr 15, 2007
  • #5
sorry to hijack, but I have Hooker LT's on my 01 DOHC. I am having extreme problems with a leak at the header/X-pipe.. flange I guess.

It has that damn clamp istead of a flange and it just WILL NOT seal... any tips?
 

Stang|ess

seeking cyber partner(s)
Oct 18, 2003
941
0
37
Hawaii
Apr 16, 2007
#6
  • Apr 16, 2007
  • #6
01Steeda said:
sorry to hijack, but I have Hooker LT's on my 01 DOHC. I am having extreme problems with a leak at the header/X-pipe.. flange I guess.

It has that damn clamp istead of a flange and it just WILL NOT seal... any tips?
Click to expand...

use lots of RTV, and use a band clamp.
 
S

svtpower

New Member
Apr 30, 2005
257
0
0
Wisconsin
Apr 16, 2007
#7
  • Apr 16, 2007
  • #7
mid

Dude, get a midpipe instead. There is a lot more power to be gained per dollar with a midpipe versus headers. They should be the very last bolt on you do unless you have a power adder. Tons of other mods that are way better bang for your buck.
 
A

AREJAY

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
83
0
6
Snohomish, Wa
Apr 18, 2007
#8
  • Apr 18, 2007
  • #8
I put the FMS shorties on my old 99 and the results were decent. But, if you are dumping them into the stock exhaust then you're putting money in the wrong place. Header upgrades into factory pipes won't give you a great deal of HP gain. I had my shorties going into flowmaster super 40's. If I had to do it all over again (if I still had that car) I would have gone to the long tubes instead. More bang for the buck.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Keeping O2 sensors lit with long tube headers
  • keel
  • Jul 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
212
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2026
Qtrhrse23
W
Dipstick
  • wccurtis1963
  • Jun 13, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
220
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
Willybill32
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
95
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
Resolved 1999 cobra removed lower intake manifold to crossovertube
  • hvcobra99
  • Sep 6, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
0
Views
110
SVT Tech Forum Sep 6, 2026
hvcobra99
4v cobra exhaust compatibility
  • Kid wita 5oh
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
447
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Mar 30, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?