99' Mustang-Possible Electric Issues? Need Help Please!

Scotchm

Aug 6, 2011
About a week ago was coming home from work when I noticed all my gauges on the dash going up and down then zeroing out, and I had a momentary loss of power to my radio. About halfway home everything went back to semi-normal except my gauges stayed in the position they look like when the car is turned off. I immediately went to autoZone and they tested the battery and said it was fine, tested the ALT and said it was fine, ran a systems check that was fine, and then attached the handheld computer code device under my driver's side dashand and that tested negative for any issues. Well, i came home and parked my car and looked under the hood and could hear something boiling. I opened up the caps on my battery and the fluids were boiling. I let my car sit overnight until the next day when I went to leave for the gym and my car was completely dead. Well, I got a new battery today and installed it, and cleaned the connections, and it started up fine but I'm having the same issues with the battery light being on and the gauges going crazy on my dash. Does anyone know what this could be? Or has anyone ever had the same issue? I have read on other posts something aboutan
ECU, what exactly is it? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Batteries boil when the alternator output is too high. Very high system voltages can also play havoc with and/or damage the rest of the electronics in the car. I agree with COramprat ... have the alternator output voltage checked: get a voltmeter on the battery terminals at idle and at 1500RPM. If it's over 14.8V -- give or take -- you need to look at the alternator.