A4LD tranny question

Vixen30

Jun 11, 2007
Alabama
I have a 1993 Mustang with an A4LD tranny in it and it is leaking fluid from the rear of the tranny. I am thinking that it is the rear seal, or possibly the tranny filter...but I want another opinion just in case. If anyone has had this problem, I would appreciate any and all input you can give me.
Thanks,
Vixen

I would say it is probably the rear seal, if it is leaking from the tailshaft (where the driveshaft inserts into). If it is leaking more from underneath, I would say it's the pan gasket. Oh, and as a quick side note on the A4LD, if you don't have a transmission cooler on it already (like a B&M supercooler or something), get one on there. They love to overheat and grenade on you. Synthetic tranny fluid is also a big help. If it is currently leaking fluid, be sure to keep it at the proper level or it will fry itself.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a cooler on it yet but I didn't really think I needed one. But come to think of it that may be what happened to my first tranny...I had to replace it about 5 years ago. Thanks for your help.
Vixen

The A4LD's love to run hot. The cooler built into the radiator is not sufficent for these transmissions, especially if you run them hard. I put a trans cooler on my 88 mustang in maybe an hour. It's real cheap insurance.