A4LD tranny question

Vixen30

Jun 11, 2007
Alabama
I have a 1993 Mustang with an A4LD tranny in it and it is leaking fluid from the rear of the tranny. I am thinking that it is the rear seal, or possibly the tranny filter...but I want another opinion just in case. If anyone has had this problem, I would appreciate any and all input you can give me.
Thanks,
Vixen

• Sponsors (?)

I would say it is probably the rear seal, if it is leaking from the tailshaft (where the driveshaft inserts into). If it is leaking more from underneath, I would say it's the pan gasket. Oh, and as a quick side note on the A4LD, if you don't have a transmission cooler on it already (like a B&M supercooler or something), get one on there. They love to overheat and grenade on you. Synthetic tranny fluid is also a big help. If it is currently leaking fluid, be sure to keep it at the proper level or it will fry itself.

I would say it is probably the rear seal, if it is leaking from the tailshaft (where the driveshaft inserts into). If it is leaking more from underneath, I would say it's the pan gasket. Oh, and as a quick side note on the A4LD, if you don't have a transmission cooler on it already (like a B&M supercooler or something), get one on there. They love to overheat and grenade on you. Synthetic tranny fluid is also a big help. If it is currently leaking fluid, be sure to keep it at the proper level or it will fry itself.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a cooler on it yet but I didn't really think I needed one. But come to think of it that may be what happened to my first tranny...I had to replace it about 5 years ago. Thanks for your help.
Vixen