Adding a Shaker assembly to q-Code

I have found a relatively inexpensive Mach 1 ($29k) with a 428 cobra jet. The vin is a 1970 6 cylinder ... the body has been modified to add the 69 side scoops and the 428CJ/4Speed manual is from a Torino. It's got suspension mods, wide rear tires, different wheels off a new model, the batteries (yes 2) are in the in the trunk and a bunch of other crap that makes it far away from original (but I like that).

Anyway it seems fun and I would like a shaker ... so since it's a Frankenstein Mustang anyway ... can I unbolt the hood scoop (looks to be removable from underneath but part of the hood on top) and install a shaker air cleaner assembly easily? Or are the bolts for a skirt that drops over the air cleaner?

• Sponsors (?)

I honestly don't know the history of this car ... the vin says it's a 1970 six cylinder ... the body has scoops on the side. So who knows what was done. For all I know it was built 1 part at a time from factory stolen parts;-)

What I am wanting to do is add a shaker. The hood looks as though it will work from underneath, but from the top it looks formed.

If it has the Mach 1 type hood scoop there will be a bunch of holes left over when you cut the opening for the shaker,get a hood that had no scoop and it is easy ,they have a template for it
thanks for the info ... how much are they usually? I have found a shaker and air cleaner for about $2500 to $3k ... add a hood and then it starts getting expensive.

Got more of a look at the car and measured from the edge of the fender and front to the center of the carb ... when they put the 428, the owner claimed they put it in the right place. SO ... anyone have those measurements (or know where I can find them) ... I did it from the lip that's 90 degrees from the outside panels (not the lip that the hood rests on).

One other note ... I want to keep the original hood since it's got a air scoop, which means extra holes AND the paint and stripes match. Our plan is to make this a black hood.

Last edited: