Advice for a dummy... 99 GT

Hello! Would love any advice/help... I have a family passed down 99 GT (40th Anniversary). I would love to start adding some basic bolt on mods, cold air, throttle body and exhaust system. Honestly though I have very little car knowledge, would love to know opinions on brands and specific models that I should be looking at. Price is not an issue, just want to right part for the job. Any advice/help would be appreciated, even if it’s to say that I should be adding other parts beforehand.

Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

...and how many miles? These are fun cars, but time and mileage take their toll on items that can be upgraded for better performance without really messing with the engine. For instance, new struts and shocks, new shifter (if stick), better tires, improved rear control arms/bushings. If a convertible, subframe connectors are a good add to stiffen the chassis a bit. For stock engine/performance mods, you can obtain the same sound/performance of a CAI for $0 by modifying the air box snorkel with a razor knife (cut it off so the lip remains just inside the fender hole to draw air outside the engine bay...this enlarged the opening in mine almost 4x the original). For a better sound (limited performance returns), consider a catback exhaust system (I have LM2, but there are probably over 2 dozen options). If you want huge performance gains, plan and save for a superchager rather than adding a bunch of bolt ons. My opinion. Enjoy!

...and how many miles? These are fun cars, but time and mileage take their toll on items that can be upgraded for better performance without really messing with the engine. For instance, new struts and shocks, new shifter (if stick), better tires, improved rear control arms/bushings. If a convertible, subframe connectors are a good add to stiffen the chassis a bit. For stock engine/performance mods, you can obtain the same sound/performance of a CAI for $0 by modifying the air box snorkel with a razor knife (cut it off so the lip remains just inside the fender hole to draw air outside the engine bay...this enlarged the opening in mine almost 4x the original). For a better sound (limited performance returns), consider a catback exhaust system (I have LM2, but there are probably over 2 dozen options). If you want huge performance gains, plan and save for a superchager rather than adding a bunch of bolt ons. My opinion. Enjoy!
Has 64K miles. Not being used as a daily driver. Weekend car really.

Best bang for the buck is gears I think. Most bolt-ons give minimal or no HP increase from my reading/experience(I wouldn't consider cams if you are a novice but it depends what you mean by a novice), long tube headers can add some HP but for a novice they can be a PITA to install and work around(clutch replacement etc), although the stick is much easier than the AT for installing. I would throw gears and a catback(for a good sound) and if not enough then save for a supercharger.
Sounds like you got a really nice Mustang there,64Kis a very nice number for a '99.

Reactions: 1 user
I second gears. I put off adding gears to mine for a long time, but when I finally got them I was upset that I waited so long. I got 3.73's because I plan on boost down the road and the car was my daily at the time, but if you just want a fun weekend warrior 4.10's are my suggestion.

I would suggest gears, maybe 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10,a better clutch, and long tube headers with a full exhaust upgrade. Also some stuff that's pretty easy to do yourself like cai, larger throttlebody and plenum, and replacing that plastic intake manifold. Considering it's almost 20 years old maybe consider replacing the injectors, coils, spark plugs, radiator, and shocks/struts. A handheld tuner would probably be a good investment also if you plan on many upgrades.
Oh, btw a '99 is a 35th anniversary an '04 is the 40th.

IMO the best bang for the least buck possible is a Ford service manual or any other information to allows you to do more work on your own car. <ducks for cover>

By staying out of the repair shop it's possible to save real $$'s. Not to mention the pride from doing something yourself.

Regarding modifications. IMO the first question to ask should be "who is doing the work?". Why? Because it's rarely cost effective to pay a professional to modify your car.

The next question to answer should be "how is the car used?". IMO the answer is very different if the car is a daily driver verses a weekend garage queen.

Some thought should be given that perhaps the car is worth more in an un-molested state. It is certainly the least expensive modification possible.

With the ultra low mileage of this car if you still want to modify a Mustang consider selling it and getting a later model year Mustang with higher mileage to do the modifications upon. There are plenty of people out there that will pay good $$ for a low mileage un-molested Mustang.

Signed
Ward Cleaver

Last edited:
a couple easy mods to start with would be a cold air intake, which requires only basic tools and skills and a plenum/throttle body combination upgrade if you're feeling confident. if you go with a throttle body upgrade stick with the 70mm as any larger won't help you out without further upgrades. after you complete these two relatively easy upgrades it will be time to consider a flash tuner and cat-back exhaust (or full system $$). flash tuner is easy, exhaust might be turned over to your local Midas muffler guy. put on some miles and smiles, then you can start to look at the more labor intensive mods like rear gears and headers, which require a bit more mechanical experience.
above all ... be groovy (and always check your math 1964 + 40 = 2004)

Last edited:
IMO the best bang for the least buck possible is a Ford service manual or any other information to allows you to do more work on your own car. <ducks for cover>

By staying out of the repair shop it's possible to save real $$'s. Not to mention the pride from doing something yourself.

Regarding modifications. IMO the first question to ask should be "who is doing the work?". Why? Because it's rarely cost effective to pay a professional to modify your car.

The next question to answer should be "how is the car used?". IMO the answer is very different if the car is a daily driver verses a weekend garage queen.

Some thought should be given that perhaps the car is worth more in an un-molested state. It is certainly the least expensive modification possible.

With the ultra low mileage of this car if you still want to modify a Mustang consider selling it and getting a later model year Mustang with higher mileage to do the modifications upon. There are plenty of people out there that will pay good $$ for a low mileage un-molested Mustang.

Signed
Ward Cleaver

Wmburns (aka Mr. Cleaver). Are these the shop manuals you would recommend? They look like original pieces. (Mine a 2000). Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 72