After Pi Swap Very Loud Noise

studerman1

Aug 14, 2016
After first start it was very loud and clickly. I changed the oil 5w-30. I was driving around tonight and the oil pressure just dropped to 0 so I stopped and looked around, and found nothing fired it up and back to normal pressure. I drove a little longer and noticed the oil pressure was wobbling from 0-normal very fast. So I stopped again looked around and still nothing checked oil (full). Started it back up. back to normal with the oil pressure. Then very very loud clicking started. when I mean loud it was loud. I was a block away from my house so I limpped it back. I seemed to fast and didn't make scene to be a rod knock. So im thinking maybe lifters? cumming from the drivers side head. Where should I start?

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the cam cover and look for any scorching on any of the cam lobes or if it spit something out.

Were the heads taken off and bolted directly on or did they go to a machine shop first?

Change the oil, check for debri (use a coffee filter to screen the oil for any foreign material). Cut open the oil filter and inspect as well. Shiny pieces in the oil is a bad sign.

Pull the cam cover and look for any scorching on any of the cam lobes or if it spit something out.

Were the heads taken off and bolted directly on or did they go to a machine shop first?

Change the oil, check for debri (use a coffee filter to screen the oil for any foreign material). Cut open the oil filter and inspect as well. Shiny pieces in the oil is a bad sign.
Changed the oil nothing much maybe a speck or 2 and the heads had a 3 way valve job and were completle reserfaces ill go check the valves today.

felt all the lobes and there was nothing i could feel. Also noticed little to no oil in there. sorry for the bad pics but Didnt have time to remove the clutch cable to get the covers all the way off.
20160815_113433.jpg
20160815_113442.jpg

Also Something to add to this I did a 0-60 pull when it was running 9.46 seconds, wow impressive still have no idea what the problem is. Doesn't have the power it should I guess. hopefully involves this clicking.

Man, that looks next to dry in there.... If i were you, i would pull the timing chain cover and gear back off and put a new oil pump on. Also, make sure all oil galley holes are free of any silicon

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, either you have an oil passage blocked or the pump failed. Or a combo of both. That first pic looks like a lot of scoring on the two middle cam lobes.

I would do a lot of investigating prior to running again. I'd recommend a bore scope to look down into the cylinders as well. I bet you see some bad things there if the top end is that starved for oil.

Did a little looking around have 60 psi oil pressure at the block constant. so oil pump is out, and oil is making it all the way to the chain tensioners lots of oil on the chains also. so there is oil in the heads just not getting to the tops of them. maybe the machine shop overtightend the oil plugs on the side of the heads and blocked the ports?

I would think more of debri in the ports/passages. Did the heads get hot tanked? Were they ported or anything?
Think I found the problem in 03 from what I understand they changed the tensioners I used 98-02 ones and it lookes to me like its dumping all the oil pressure out the tensioners before it can build in the heads. They weren't ported and I checked all the ports for debri and found nothing.