• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Alternator Issue??

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTzoom
  • Start date Start date Jul 28, 2009
G

GTzoom

New Member
Jul 27, 2009
1
0
0
Baltimore
Jul 28, 2009
#1
  • Jul 28, 2009
  • #1
So I have a 1996 mustang GT. Recently when I start it, it hesitates a little before starting, and then once it does, it doesn't seem to have the same kick to it as it did a few weeks ago. Also lot of the time, I can't even get the key to turn in the ignition. In order to turn it, I have to put the key in, and then pull it out a little. Two weeks ago I had to replace the battery, and now I'm wondering if the alternator is dying (headlights seem fine, no flickering), or if it's the spark plugs? Maybe even the ignition system?

Two days ago my odometer & tripometer stopped working, so I'm in the process of getting new motors for them. I don't know if this is related, or just a coincidence. My stang is in really good shape, I swear! Just hiccups. Haha


My check engine light is also on. I had this checked at Advanced Auto, and it was a code having to do with the emissions, but it just passed state inspection with flying colors. So I was informed that it could do with the after market head unit I have in my car (the wiring). Now I'm wondering if it has do with the it not wanting to start up. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first mustang, so any advice will be GREAT!
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Jul 30, 2009
#2
  • Jul 30, 2009
  • #2
Depending on how long it has been since the plugs were changed I start there. New wires also. The ignition key issue is just a worn ignition cylinder. I'd live with that until it breaks.

Need the exact code for the emmissions. That could have something to do with why the car is running funny also. The head unit will not have anything to do with throwing a code no matter what.
 
B

BaXTeR3221

Member
Jan 12, 2004
917
0
16
Orange County, NY
Jul 30, 2009
#3
  • Jul 30, 2009
  • #3
Agreed, head unit should not throw a code at all.

As for the alternator, it could be the problem, though I would lean towards the wiring. Take it over to Advance Auto, they should be able to test it for you and tell you if it's putting out the proper power. Test should be free.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
185
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
168
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
S
92 5.0 almost starts
  • Steverino
  • Wednesday at 10:01 AM
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
118
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Friday at 6:39 PM
General karthief
S
01 GT DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK CYLINDER LINKAGE
  • Scwhitten
  • May 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
250
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 19, 2026
melo.timo
M
T
Fuel P0193 on a 2003 3.8 v6
  • Treemaster5000
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
73
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 18, 2026
Treemaster5000
T
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?