Another One Bites the Dust... Drag Strip

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
The Huntsville Drag Way (Huntsville, Alabama) has just been closed down. The reason? The area surrounding it has been developed and the new home owners are complaining. Also, the county commisioner (whom I've met a couple of times and he hates my parents) happens to be developing the area as well from what I hear.

Chalk another one up to stupid people and corrupt politicians. :notnice:

George Howard Racing :: View topic - George Howard closes Huntsville Dragway for the last time

I'm so angry right now I don't know what else to say. The cops will be having a VERY tough time around here now.

:leaving:

• Sponsors (?)

It's sad when a piece of your childhood disappears. For me it was West Hampton Dragway on Long Island in New York that closed in the early 2000's.. The Islands last race track. They had an auto cross track in Bridge Hampton I went to once as a kid but they closed a long time ago.

I always keep an eye on ETown. All the McMansions that went up out there have owners that bitch about the track even though it was there long before the houses.
Too bad for your track strype. I wonder if a cruise could be organized so all those cars would be out at one time and one place really making some noise and getting the point across.

I fell this small now ---> .

*waits for jokes*

Seriously man that's where I went at age 17 to run and watch my friends run their big cars. Now WTF am I supposed to do with this mustang once I finish it??? My neighbor is building a monster camaro. WTF do we do now?

Oh it's on now those neighborhoods are targeted.

Capital Raceway in Crofton, MD faced a similar problem about 10 years ago. The new neighbors were complaining away. The county had a hearing on it and decided that the track was there first and the new neighbors would have to live with it. The track did cut back on the number of days they're open to help out a little.

That is terrible news. I can't count the number of times I went there in high school.

Looks like Martin Rd will be back in action....:nonono: As if the Huntsville Police weren't bad enough....

It's been a while since I've been out that way (4 years). Huntsville Dragway is way out in the country. So, there is now housing developments close to the dragstrip???

That sucks big time. I remember in Hawaii when the strips closed and only Maui was left. Poor dudes with these bad ass cars had to pay big bucks to ship them between islands to drive them for what, 60 seconds if they were eliminated in the first round :nonono:

I worked for Pioneer Mill in Maui and we always had people calling up to complain about the smoke from the cane fires or the noise of the trucks. I got to answer the phone once and this woman (rich white lady) was complaining how our trucks stirred up too much dust and made her pool dirty. I asked her when she bought her house then pointed out the mill was there 80 years before she was and the land shes on was sold to her by the mill so WTF did she expect. All the complaints and dirty polititians eneded up getting the mill closed too :(

We lost our only track in our area in 2004 for similiar reasons. They now have built assisted living 55+ on that land or condos or some crap. Now if anyone wants to race on a strip we have to travel out of state and the closest is about 2 1/2 hours away talk about killin a sport. Im located in NY on Long Island from what i gather it was the oldest drag strip in the country also.