Anti-freeze/coolant: what's the story?

• Sponsors (?)

7DMACH1 said:
Oh Dave, the Ford parts catolog list them as expansion plugs. LOL RAY[/QUOTE

I am aware of the various names used for such plugs in heads, bloks, manifolds, etc. I wanted it known that they are there for purposes of casting the part, not freeze-up protection. I've seen parts freeze up and ruined WITHOUT the plugs giving way. Nice idea but I don't have faith that they offer protection.

[QUOTE='68StangGT]I've been reading about Evans NPG+ waterless coolant

http://www.evanscooling.com/catalog/C_npg1.htm

ever heard about it or used it ?[/QUOTE]

That's the propylene glycol stuff I was talking about, that's what my buddy was running in his SSO car.

I've also read in the back of Poular Hotrodding, Scott Parkhurst's "Technically Speaking" column, a few month's back about Dexcool. He had bought a S-10 that had the stuff in it and it was going thru parts, must have been the aforementioned 4.3, anyway, I seem to recall him saying that if you mixed Dexcool and Ethylene Glycol, it starts to solidify. Anyway, he flushed the Dexcool out and put regular anti freeze in and hasn't had any more problems.

1320stang said:
That's the propylene glycol stuff I was talking about, that's what my buddy was running in his SSO car.

I've also read in the back of Poular Hotrodding, Scott Parkhurst's "Technically Speaking" column, a few month's back about Dexcool. He had bought a S-10 that had the stuff in it and it was going thru parts, must have been the aforementioned 4.3, anyway, I seem to recall him saying that if you mixed Dexcool and Ethylene Glycol, it starts to solidify. Anyway, he flushed the Dexcool out and put regular anti freeze in and hasn't had any more problems.

Illustrates my point exactly. I don't have cooling problems so I don't need solutions ergo "why fix it if it ain't broke?"

SuperDave said:
Illustrates my point exactly. I don't have cooling problems so I don't need solutions ergo "why fix it if it ain't broke?"

SuperDave said:
I've always considered that any product that keeps my cooling systems clean and rust-free is all that is needed. My systems are routinely flushed and maintained which is critical.
Is there any KNOWN product that is superior for this protection?

Quality anti-freeze/coolant is well worth the the expense for a number of reasons.
Any recommendations?

That's what I'm trying to tell you, the Evan's stuff has higher boiling point and a lower freeze point and has no water and doesn't promote electrolysis, isn't that better?

:shrug:

I should also mention that - while its great stuff - I think its around $25 bucks a gallon ...

something to take into consideration
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

SuperDave: I'm just curious

Do you change your raditor fluid on a regular basis ?

Do you use one of the flush kits that is out on the market ?

Replace at least once every three years else it becomes acid saturated (from running round and round in the engine block) and will eventually be strong enough acid-wise to etch your radiator tanks and hence ruin your radiator. Good stuff, long lasting but not permanent...use as directed on the container!