Any air conditioner pros? Save me before I lose my mind!

SiahNyde

Dec 3, 2010
Oregon
I recently finished my 99 gt rebuild in which I added a d1sc procharger and forged bottom end. I did the 8 rib swap and all went really smooth except I'm having a hard time with the ac 8 rib. I left the stock compressor but swapped the hub/clutch assembly and pulley with a setup off a v10 excursion. it alows me to drive the car, but the ac won't work and smells like burnt metal whenever I try to use it. I absolutely love driving the car but it has developed an extremely irritating rattling noise after the car warms up, but only around the 1,300 rpm range. So crusing through parking lots, when I should be turning heads just result in embarasment, not to mention defrosting the car being a serious bitch. I've tried calling procharger for help, and even took the car into an ac shop (which was pointless) and have exhausted my knowledge and patience so any help would be most useful!

• Sponsors (?)

Where did the AC clutch come from? Are you sure that the bearings in the clutch are in good shape.

How did you set the clutch air gap?

both times the assemblies came off of low mileage v10s that I picked up at a local pick a part shop. I'm not certain that the bearings are not the issue, but I did roll it to verify that it wasn't obviously worn out.

Both of you guys say air gap? you can set that with shims, correct?
I haven't shimmed at all!

There is a plug at the bottom of the a/c unit. If you unplug it you will be able to run the heat/defrost without engaging the clutch on the a/c. The a/c clutch is causing the belt to smoke. How to fix? Not sure, but at least you can drive and have a working heater. If you need a pic let me know.

Neat little trick for when your a/c unit locks up like mine did. Once you figure out the clutch issue you can plug it back in.

well, the belt doesn't smoke. it smells like burnt metal when i try to run the defrost. i will try to unplug the a/c, hopefully that will make that Godawful noise go away...that's the most important part to me right now...that sound freaking makes me loco...lol, I'll give the unplug a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

alright, unpluged the ac and the car seems more responsive...idle is alot more smooth, and seems to better overall. However, the stupid thing still rattles and ribrates, so i still ned to fix it! I'm leaning towards not properly shimming it as the culprit...is that something that would be easier to do at a shop or something I could do myself?

glad to hear I somewhat helped your situation, not sure about the second part of your issue. Have you tried looking up a blue print or exploded view to see how much work is involved. Try running a google search on shimming an a/c unit to see what comes up.

be sure to get the air gap right, i normally fold a piece of regular printing paper in half to measure the gap, if you can slide it through with just a bit of drag then you're set. also, if the clutch assembly you have is off a wrecked car make sure the cluch plate isn't bent in any way or you'll never get it right