Any Paint/Bodywork Pro's??? Need Advice or Help!!!

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hi.. I'm 24 and have a 88 gt convertible... I am planning on painting my mustang over the next month.. with my dad's garage and of course with his help.. He and my mom rented a paint booth about 4 or 5 times.. .and painted cars... before I was born.. one car was for a older lady.. .my dad changed the color on his old 69 firebird with 400 engine, tach on the hood/ convertible about 3 times.. white to yellow to red!

Anyways.. so we have a really decent size garage that we just built this year.. and we just got a 60 gallon air compressor and got a gravity type paint gun for christmas.. I also ordered a dual action air sander about a month ago and have started sanding!! I had my car keyed and there was quite a few small rust spots starting...

So I have removed all the ground effects accept for the front bumper cover..

finished all the putty work.. and am just trying to sand the car down too its original primer.

The car was originally two tone... red on top.. silverish gold on the bottom.. and I am dead set on having the hole thing red....

The color I like is that red on the new yamaha r1 (2007).. which I am assuming is a tri-color...

Once I am comfortable with where I am at with the sanding.. I would like to go with some sort of epoxy primer and sealer... because I have read it is good for multi surfaces.. Once I get the body Primed and sealed.. my plan is to put the ground effects back on the car once I have the old paint removed and once they are finely sanded.. Then I will prime them with the same multisurface primer.. and spray the sealer...

Then my plan is to give it a once over to slightly ruff it up so the base coat sticks...

Anyone have experience with tri coats.. What I think is that the base will be pretty flat... but it is a pretty dark kinda metalic candy red.. So the mid coat would give that candy look... and the final would be the clear... I read that the most important thing is to spray the clear while the mid coat is still wet.. on the mid coat's final coat. And I understand it is important for sanding with different grit's between coats... Have a link to a website for the sizes...

Anyways... I feel like the most stressfull thing will be the timing...

Any suggestions about this....

Does anyone know how much paint I will actually need.. Car is a convertible so that should take less paint..

Obviously cost is a issue for everyone.. but I have most of the tools to do the job and I think other than paints/ sealer I shouldn't be that worried...

Anyone have experience with these types of colors..???

• Sponsors (?)

When using a tri coat color DO NOT sand any of the base coat or ANY of the tri coat color. If you absolutely have to sand dirt and dust out of the base coat, make sure you allow it to properly flash and after sanding you will have to spot in color where you sanded, otherwise you will leave nasty metallicsand scratches in the finish Also, paint the ground effects, and bumpers OFF the car. Will make for a cleaner looking paint job in the end. Also make sure you have the door handles, moldings and all the removable stuff is off the car. I would definitely get a nice epoxy primer and HAND sanding the straight parts of the body with a long 11+ inch block, that will allow you to really get the body pin straight. Did it on my car came out really really straight. If you have any more questions, I know just about everything so just ask away.