any tech articles on FMS oil/water/volt installation in pillar?

any tech articles on FMS oil/water/volt gauge installation in pillar?

I'm lookin for details, how and where to route wires and how and where to connect which retains factory gauges and utilizes factory dimmer.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You can source lighting from the dimmer circuit. It is fuse 13. Or you can grab the dimmer wire at the back of the headlight switch (probe wires with your meter. You will find one that dims the test light as you run the dimmer down - use it). Or use a light in the stock instrument cluster.

You can source 12 volts anywhere you want really (that is key-on hot). Fuse box has a few choices if that suits you.

I run a main 12 volt (key-on) wire, a ground wire and the 12 volt lighting wire together to the first gauge. Then I "daisychain" (as Adam puts it) with jumper wires from the first gauge to the next. So the first gauge will have the main 12 volt feed connected to the stud, plus a short jumper wire going to the 12 volt post on the next gauge up. Then do the same for the 3rd gauge.

I do the same with the ground wires (You can use one ground feed to ground all the gauges and ground the lighting for the gauges).

Optional: you can use bullet connectors at the base of the pillar so you can remove and disconnect wires quickly if needing to remove the pod.

You can use a Tee fitting on the OP gauge to retain both guages. The stock sender is 1/4" NPT and most aftermarket senders are 1/8" NPT, so buy a Tee and adapters accordingly.

For water temp, you can relocate the stock sender to the driver side rear of the lower intake. Or put it in a water neck with a fitting for a gauge sender (be sure the sender does not protrude too far). The stock location is best for your new gauge's sender.

You can use the 12 volt key-on and ground feed wires to power your voltmeter.
That is all I can think of. Very simple to install this stuff.
Good luck.

You want to use the dead-side of the circuit. When you remove the fuse, one of the two terminals inside where the fuse goes is cold, and that is the one to use.

You could either splice into the wire with a soldered joint, T-tap, a fuse tap, etc. The fuse tap is the easiest. Some folks just set the wire next to the fuse and jamb them both in.

Good luck.