Any tricks to align/shim quadrant position to mate with cable

TonyG

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
Owings Mills, MD
Most aftermarket quadrants come with spacers (washers) to set the quadrant position correctly. Well, although I used their spacers, my UPR quadrant must not be aligned well with the hole in firewall, because my stock cable snapped after about 10k miles. It must have been rubbing slightly, getting frayed and eventually cut.

Anyone have any tricks in correctly positioning the quadrant? I remove the drivers seat and lie on the floor to visually inspect, but its still hard to see if there';'s perfect alignment.

• Sponsors (?)

Rule number one, don't use a UPR cable or anything other than OEM, MM or Steeda. These are the only ones worth spending your money on. And coincidentally the OEM and MM are the same thing. I have a UPR triple hook with a Steeda FW adjuster and cable, and have the cable on the middle notch.

What is your setup? Do you have a firewall adjuster? What kind of cable?

My UPR cable snapped after about 5k miles. I have put about 5k miles on my Steeda and the clutch pedal feels the same as when it was installed.

Cable is OEM, quadrant is UPR triple hook, adjuster is Fiore. The OEM cable was cut right on hte end, where it meets that hat-shaped metal piece. Clutch action felt nice and smooth, but the cable must have still been slight rubbing against the hook of the quadrant.