Anybody done a 87-89 to 90-93 steering wheel conversion?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it can be done,

Im not too sure if you need the steering columb from a 90-93 to make it work as at 90 we lost the tilt due to tha airbag :(

Im sure you can just bolt it right up but someone on here would know for sure,

You didnt mention if you wanted the airbag to work or not?
If you do you need all the airbag wiring harness, Computer, and the 3 crash sensors for the fromt of the car and the 7 green grounding screws :)

IMO the 90-93 Steering wheel looks way better than the 87-89,
However I still dont "Dig" the 90-93 steering wheel anwyay

What I would do if I wer ein your shoes is either find a 86 Svo Steering wheel :drool:

Or a nice Black leather steering wheel from a 94+ with the running pony on it,

I have a pic of a Fox with a SN95 Steering whell and it looks amazing :nice:

I wanna do that If I ever find one cheap

Ill search for the pic

Here it is :)

God I want it :drool:

Attachments

• 520882_3_full.jpg
    520882_3_full.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,917
I was looking at the Maximum Motorsports website at their grant wheels, and they have the same install kit for the 80's to 2004 cars, but they do note that on the 90+ you will not be able to use the cruise or horn wiring. The airbag cars went with a different wiring setup than the older cars. Based on the Grant kit, I bet the wheel would probably bolt up, but you won't be able to use the horn button.

Jamie,

I'm with you on the wheel..... I plan to get a SN95 leather wheel into mine whenever I can find one, and either rig up something to use the horn, or get a 90-93 column and make it work.

Thomas

Yeah, I've almost bought a couple of the vinyl ones from ebay……but I'm afraid to buy it and then it not fit. I did find one at my favorite salvage yard, but didn't get back there in time and it went. :( I'll keep you in mind if I fine some!

Thomas

Ok.....so if I put a 94+ wheel in my 90GT, will the cruise still work or maybe I could just wire it up? :shrug:

And do you need a 94+ column, or not.

Sorry to jack the tread but I never tought of doing this until now, and I use cruise a lot. :nice:

Thanks,
-Adam.

iwashmycar said:
Ok.....so if I put a 94+ wheel in my 90GT, will the cruise still work or maybe I could just wire it up? :shrug:

And do you need a 94+ column, or not.

Sorry to jack the tread but I never tought of doing this until now, and I use cruise a lot. :nice:

Thanks,
-Adam.

From what I understand, the 94+ will hook up directly to the 93 column and plug right in. The 90-92 cars have a different plug for the airbag and the cruise, so you have to get the same plug and wire them up. I don't know for sure about the cruise, as the only other car I've seen the 94+ wheel in was a 93 Cobra that did not have cruise.