Anybody seen this B4 - 1970 Mustang w/ 1100ci tank motor in it!!

caseywan

Apr 7, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't know how I came across this today but it just amazes me the crazy projects some people take on.

All the article says is that some dude with an WWII Sherman Tank engine put it in his 1970 Mustang. The engine is an all aluminum 1100 cubic inch V8 rated at 500 hp and 1,050 ft. lbs. of torque that was built in the 1940’s and used for military service during WWII. It is mated to a heavily modified Powerglide tranny with a custom adapter and flexplate.

http://autoandtuning.blogspot.com/2007/06/1970-mustang-with-1100-ci-sherman-tank.html

aa_tankengine.jpg

aa_tankengine2.jpg

aa_tankengine3.jpg

aa_tankengine4.jpg

aa_tankengine5.jpg

Attachments

• aa_tankengine.jpg
    aa_tankengine.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 104
  • aa_tankengine2.jpg
    aa_tankengine2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 138
  • aa_tankengine3.jpg
    aa_tankengine3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 148
  • aa_tankengine4.jpg
    aa_tankengine4.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 135
  • aa_tankengine5.jpg
    aa_tankengine5.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

Holy crap that's a big ass engine. Looks DOHC as well. I'm a big WW2 buff, so i'd love to have that engine on a stand in my garage

In fact, that engine doesn't look like it's 65 years old at all. :)

I dunno which detail to find most astonishing:

1. That they actually fit that monstrosity between the shock towers at all;
2. That tanks used gasoline engines (for some reason I thought they'd always used diesel, due to the torque advantage needed to pull a tank's weight around);
3. That the front wheels are able to support the engine, at all - I mean, that's almost like bolting a Honda CRX or Geo Metro onto the front of your car!;
4. That out of 1100 cubes, they could only get 500 horses ... especially considering there are small-block V8's nowadays putting that kind of power out. :shrug: (Then again, I guess that considering it's WWII technology, it was still pretty impressive...)

i remember the first time i seen this car running on streetfire i about sh** then i watched the video about ten times and made my girlfriend watch it too that thing is awesome :hail2:

i dont see the video i watched i will look for it

the guy was talking about twin turbos on it

if he can get 2 horsepower per cubic inch it will have 2200 horse

2. That tanks used gasoline engines (for some reason I thought they'd always used diesel, due to the torque advantage needed to pull a tank's weight around)

Early WW2 tanks were gas. Don't know why, but when they got hit, then exploded. Kinda sucks for tank crews.

The russians went deisel first in the t-34, then eventually the brits, americans and Germans.

Guess that explains the pyrotechnics work on the tanks in Band of Brothers; almost every single time one of 'em gets hit, they burst into flame and chunks o' steel, and dudes come rolling out of the hatch engulfed in flames. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure that tank crews are probably more prone to dying horrible deaths and/or getting maimed than paratroopers. I mean, what's worse: jumping from a perfectly good plane and maybe going SPLAT, or sitting inside a giant, steaming hot tin can packed full of gasoline and explosives? :eek:

I didn't see any videos of the thing actually making track passes. Is it finished or close to being finished, yet? Or is it still in the "look at this insane creation I'm working on" phase?

Kinda like the Geo Metro V8 conversion on steroids, in a way...

It's one of those builds that i don't really care if it makes 500hp or 1500hp....just the sheer awe of the thing is impressive. You'd have to throw twin 90mm turbos on it and a 500 shot of NOS just because.