Anyone Else Coming From An Sti And Want To Share Thoughts?

DucatiMustangMan

Aug 29, 2017
Hi. Last year I bought a 2017 STI and modded her to 360chp/330tq. Can feels like a fighter jet on wheels. Respectable power. Before I modded further (which would have been expensive including an engine build), I decided on getting a 2018 Mustang GT (ordered and driving me crazy waiting on a delivery date). It will probably arrive in mid-late-Oct or later (just in time for me to have to remove the summer-only tires on the GT Performance Package... :O_o:).

Anywho, just wondering if anyone else came from an STI and wanted to share your thoughts on the transition?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi. Last year I bought a 2017 STI and modded her to 360chp/330tq. Can feels like a fighter jet on wheels. Respectable power. Before I modded further (which would have been expensive including an engine build), I decided on getting a 2018 Mustang GT (ordered and driving me crazy waiting on a delivery date). It will probably arrive in mid-late-Oct or later (just in time for me to have to remove the summer-only tires on the GT Performance Package... :O_o:).

Anywho, just wondering if anyone else came from an STI and wanted to share your thoughts on the transition?

Well i havent driven the 2018 yet, but using my 2017 PP as ref the power difference is there. The Mustang might feel a little heavier in the corner but straight line you can pull close to a G.

If you are new to mustangs it may feel unrefined but with a lot more raw power opposed to the turbo kick your accustomed to.

Both are fun and the only draw back with the mustang is the v8 mpg...guess you have to pay to play.

Well i havent driven the 2018 yet, but using my 2017 PP as ref the power difference is there. The Mustang might feel a little heavier in the corner but straight line you can pull close to a G.

If you are new to mustangs it may feel unrefined but with a lot more raw power opposed to the turbo kick your accustomed to.

Both are fun and the only draw back with the mustang is the v8 mpg...guess you have to pay to play.

I'm hoping with the MagneRide and other improvements the cornering will be as good as (or approaching) the STI. Maybe not as good because of the AWD but hopefully close. That's the reason I chose the STI. Of course, you can always mod the Mustangs for suspension and handling too for cheaper than it takes to get big power on the STI.

One thing I'm worried about is high range power on the Mustang. The turbo gives a nice boost in high revs even in fifth gear. In third gear you can fly onto the highway and it keeps pulling. I'm hoping the Mustang has the oomph (even more hopefully) at high speeds as well.

I'm also going to try (if I can save enough!) to get the supercharger for the Mustang too.

If she ever arrives. :dammit:

I just have happened to been playing with a coworker who has a STi, on RT80 and the back roads this morning. On the HI way no comparison when it comes to pull and leaving him. On the back roads he took the lead but could not pull away. I must say I was pushing the tires to the limit. Talk about pull my car is a beast and has torque throughout the RPM range. At 100 I can pull away noticeably.

Now you have to keep in mind I have about 3000+ into my 50th Anniversary GT. Continental extreme DWS summer rubber. Resonator delete, Roush exhaust, GT350 Intake, throttle Body and Tune ( Ford Power Pack 2)
Lowered Progress springs. front and back chasie frame brackets.

PS: I'm also a Ducati guy. I own a Monster 821

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping with the MagneRide and other improvements the cornering will be as good as (or approaching) the STI. Maybe not as good because of the AWD but hopefully close. That's the reason I chose the STI. Of course, you can always mod the Mustangs for suspension and handling too for cheaper than it takes to get big power on the STI.

One thing I'm worried about is high range power on the Mustang. The turbo gives a nice boost in high revs even in fifth gear. In third gear you can fly onto the highway and it keeps pulling. I'm hoping the Mustang has the oomph (even more hopefully) at high speeds as well.

I'm also going to try (if I can save enough!) to get the supercharger for the Mustang too.

If she ever arrives. :dammit:
The Mustang pulls well, but comparing N/a to turbo. The turbo always pulls like a frieght train the more load you give them.

Also the closest comparison you’ll get is the Focus RS and Mustang on the Grand Tour episode. They pretty much highlight the differences and pros/cons and the feels.

The Mustang pulls well, but comparing N/a to turbo. The turbo always pulls like a frieght train the more load you give them.

Also the closest comparison you’ll get is the Focus RS and Mustang on the Grand Tour episode. They pretty much highlight the differences and pros/cons and the feels.

I'm going to try to get the supercharger. Then there will be no competition to the STI turbo. :D

I had a 2011 GT that I had to sell for "moving from a house with a garage to an apartment without one reasons." When everything got settled down in 2015 I bought a new Golf GTI. I had hoped it would have enough performance for me an while recognize it is no STI, it did run a turbocharged inline 4. As much as I liked that car, I reaffirmed that I HATE turbo lag. I know it is inherent in a turbo charged engine and I thought I could get used to it but I could not.

I don't care how fast any turbocharged car is, every one of them runs zero PSI boost while cruising at steady state throttle at 35 mph in third gear. Hammer the throttle and the turbo starts to do it's thing as quickly as it can. But there is always some lag. That is because you are going from 0 PSI of boost to 12, 15 or 20, or whatever. It takes some finite amount of time to get there and I hate that lag. Basically, the turbocharged engine has a variable torque curve. Yes there is some novelty to feeling that swell of torque and the push in the back as the turbo spools up but I really prefer the predicable nature of a N-A engine.

So that GTI lasted a year and I hope to get a new Mustang GT in the Spring of 2018. So I suspect you'll either love or hate the Mustang with no in-between.

For those who have street raced a turbo charged car, do you brake torque it in some way when you want to go from 40-80 ASAP? I have heard of people doing this when they want to pass a car quickly. They'll hit the brakes while flooring the gas pedal (again not at a stoplight but while moving at 40mp when you want to move into the oncoming lane of traffic to pass a vehicle in front of you.) which allows the vehicle to maintain speed but gets the boost ready to go. Once traffic is clear they release the brake and the car takes off appropriately. I have to assume that if a stock STI and a stock 2017 Mustang GT did an acceleration test akin to this 40-80, the Mustang would be quicker if both drivers merely floored the throttle as opposed to the STI doing some other trickery to get the boost up. Yay or nay on this?

And like at least one other in this thread, a Monster lurks in my garage as well. Hopefully it will be joined by a wild stallion in the Spring of 2018.

Backwards for me, I owned a 14 5.0 then 2 cars later, got a 16 STi. The handling is phenomenal over the 5.0 and the top end pull seems to never want to back down. Plus 4 doors is always a plus with a fam bam.