2018 Mustang Gt Manual - Anyone Get Close To 4 Secs?

DucatiMustangMan

Aug 29, 2017
Hi guys. I have the 2018 Mustang GT premium with PP1, Magneride, and 401a. So far, loving it. I posted a few months back when I ordered it that I'm coming from a 2017 STI Ltd.

Question: My absolute best time so far (I posted it on my Youtube channel, and no I'm not a paid youtuber, I only have 270 subs, so hold off your attack. :O) was this week during a warm day. I got 4.88 seconds 0-60.

I feel the car will do better once I put the Michelins back on (I got Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 for wintertime) and once it gets warmer.

Has anyone else in a manual (or even an auto) gotten close to 4?

If you want to see some vids of me acting like an idiot, feel free to check out my channel. I plan on starting to video mods in a couple of weeks. I'm just getting started so lower your expectations. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyv5MQrvYlnz8HGStkglMCw?view_as=subscriber

• Sponsors (?)

To get to 4.0 secs using an MT-82, will take an awful lot of practice. It may not be possible.

1. The first thing you would have to do is find the absolute best RPM to launch at. I've "heard" it's around 5,000RPM. Don't quote me on that. Along with that is probably a 1/4sec clutch release with hot tires. Don't quote me on that either.

2. Technically, since the 10R80 can do it, so "could" a manual with lightning fast reflexes. Once you get the max out of a launch, the real key is learning how to properly "Power Shift" the MT-82 without locking yourself out at high RPM. Since the MT-82 does have a tendency to do this, and I'm not sure if it's just the clutch or the way the remote shifter engages (me thinks it's mostly the clutch), I would say practicing "partial" power-shifting with more and more peak RPM until you start to feel the lockout to achieve maximum results. Basically, instead of fully releasing the gas pedal when you push in the clutch, you want to put your foot on the gas just a little more each time you disengage the clutch to maintain high RPM. I think the lockout occurs around 6,000rpm with the MT-82.

I think it can be done, since Car and Driver got down to about 4.3secs in there reviews. I'm sure they sent back a well worn clutch though. For anyone really interested in doing lots of 0-60 pulls, I would almost always recommend getting the 10R80, unless you have the extra money to replace your clutch until you get good enough to do it without destroying it. This is why they kind of push the 10R80 now. I think Ford is getting tired of the NHSA doing investigations into their MT-82 transmission from all the so-called complaints and mechanical failures. People just push the thing too hard.

My advice, is if you want to do a ton of pulls or weekend drag racing with a manual tranny, pull the MT-82 and spend a good 4G's to get a Tremec T56 Mag.

Last edited: