Anyone know where to find Alternator wiring harness?

SuperStang83

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Boyertown, Pa
Does anyone know where I can find the two connectors for the alternator, and the wires that go to the starter solenoid as one piece? My alternator fried these wires and I need these by tomorrow or Thursday, and I am having a tough time finding these. I have an after market 6G 200Amp alternator, but haven't gotten the directions on how to hook it up yet, so I am just going to put it back to stock for now. Thank you very much.

Jacob

• Sponsors (?)

Jacob, it will be tough to quickly find a complete harness unless you score one at a J/Y.

You can make one pretty easily if you like.

You can buy the rectifier plugs at parts stores (they are supposed to be replaced with any new alternator, so they are stocked at better parts stores).

I have had a bit of a time finding regulator plugs locally (here). A 2G and 3G both use the same reg plug.

If you can find the reg and rec plugs, grab some wire and fusible links and make your own harness.

This diagram can help with wiring it up. Otherwise, post or PM about what's not clear. It's a simple system to wire up.

Cool, how did I know that you'd be able to help JT? Do you have any idea on how to wire up the 6G 200Amp alternator that I have?.....Do I just run 4ga wire from the starter solenoid to the alt with a fusable link?

If I had the choice I would like to run the new one that I already have, but I lost the directions and have emailed the seller on ebay for the instructions, but the alternator was bought at least two years ago and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Thank you JT!

There are a couple of different regulators for the 6G's. You should have the non-EEC-monitoring regulator (an I-D-A grey regulator). If your reg is black or white, and has 3 wires coming out of it, we need to get you another regulator.

For 200 amps, you'd really like to have 1/0 cable. If not, at a minimum I'd fuse it down to protect the weakest link (the charge cable).

Wiring a 6G is easier than a 3G. You omit the stator loop wiring (it's internal), simply connecting the LG/R to the excite terminal on the reg (labeled I), and they Y/W wire is connected to the charge cable (I would put a fuse on the Y/W wire, but some dont).

I'll PM ya a diagram.