Anyone mountain bike?? Need opinions

vp6799

Aug 15, 2006
Massachusetts
I am thinking about picking up a used bike. It's an IRON HORSE GINSU. Anyone every deal with these? Got a chance to pick one up for $350 Pics are below.

The specs are as follows:
BB Shell Width: 68mm English

BB Spindle Length: 110mm

Bicycle Type: mountain bike, front & rear suspension

Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Sealex splined, 110mm spindle

Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 5

Brakeset: Hayes Mechanical Disc brakes, Avid Speed Dial 5 levers

Chain: SRAM PC-59, 1/2 x 1/8"

Chain Size: 1/2 x 1/8"

Chainrings: 22/32/44

Chainstay Length: 16.9"

Colors: Black, Orange

Component Group: Mountain Mix

Crankset: TruVativ Stylo SL, 22/32/44 teeth

Fork Brand & Model: Rock Shox Judy XC, 4.0" travel

Fork Crown: triple-clamp

Fork Material: aluminum/magnesium, triple-clamp crown

Fork Rake: Unspecified

Fork Travel: 4.0" travel

Frame Angles: 70.5 head, 69.0 seat

Frame Construction: TIG-welded

Frame Tubing Material: 7005 aluminum w/replaceable derailleur hanger

Front Brake: Hayes Mechanical Disc

Front Brake Lever: Avid Speed Dial 5

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX, top-pull/clamp-on 35.0mm

Front Derailleur Type: top-pull/clamp-on 35.0mm

Handlebar: aluminum, 1.5" rise

Handlebar Stem: aluminum Ahead type

Head Tube Angle: 70.5

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless WTB Momentum Comp ST

Headset Diameter: 1 1/8" threadless

Hub Front: WTB Disc

Hub Rear: WTB Disc

Hubs: WTB Disc

Largest Rear Cog: 32

Num Rear Cogs: 9-speed

Pedals: Koski Revolver clipless

Rear Brake: Hayes Mechanical Disc

Rear Brake Lever: Avid Speed Dial 5

Rear Cogs: 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX SGS

Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla, 4.5" travel

Rear Shock Travel: 4.5" travel

Rim Front: WTB Laser Disc

Rim Rear: WTB Laser Disc

Rims: WTB Laser Disc, 32-hole

Saddle: WTB Speed Comp

Seat Post Diameter: 29.8mm

Seat Tube Angle: 69.0

Seatpost: aluminum micro-adjust, 29.8mm diameter

Shift Levers: Shimano Deore RapidFire SL

Sizes: large, medium, small

Smallest Rear Cog: 11

Spoke Brand: stainless steel, 15g straight gauge

Spoke Gauge: 15g

Spoke Holes: 32-hole

Spoke Material: stainless steel

Spoke Nipples: brass nipples

Spoke Type: straight gauge

Tire Front: Michelin Wildgripper Front-S

Tire Rear: Michelin Wildgripper XL-S

Tire Size Front: 26 x 2.10"

Tire Size Rear: 26 x 2.00"

Top Tube Length: 22.6"

Weight: 30.0

Wheelbase: 42.52"

Sugg Retail: 1200.00

The tires have been swapped out for Michelin Wildgrippers.

Also added:
Titec bar ends have been added.
2 Cateye Luminux micro hologen lights
Sigma Sport BC-800 bike computer
Club Roost Pedels

And now for the pics:

View attachment 412395
View attachment 412397
View attachment 412399
View attachment 412401
View attachment 412403
View attachment 412405

• Sponsors (?)

not bad for 350...
my fork cost 350 (Marzochii)...
If i rememeber correctly, Iron Horse was big when mountain biking started to become popular...then they lost some popularity do to the sheer amount of new manufacturers...
And this is only if you don't ride already...dual suspension can get tiresome on the street, the rear tends to suck up some of the energy you're trying to transmit to the crank, that's also old technology, that bike looks newer than that...
I still ride a hard tail..Specialized, Rockhopper, I managed to break every componnnt on that bike, noit from abuse, just hard riding the "f trail" in Germany...
next rig is gonna be either A new Specialized dual suspension or a Kona...
either way, looks good for 350...
good luck with it, riding is awesome

That seems like a really good deal for what you're getting. I have some of those components on my bike (Hayes brakes, Deore LX derailleurs, Rock Shox) and they work very well. I don't know how much intense hardcore off-roading you wish to do with this bike, but the only comment I have is you might be limited by the suspension travel on that one if you're into high-speed downhill death runs. Mine has 5" of travel in the front and I have managed to bottom-out a couple times on the stiffest setting, but they're usually more than adequate. The pedals on that bike are pretty sweet.

not bad for 350...
my fork cost 350 (Marzochii)...
If i rememeber correctly, Iron Horse was big when mountain biking started to become popular...then they lost some popularity do to the sheer amount of new manufacturers...
And this is only if you don't ride already...dual suspension can get tiresome on the street, the rear tends to suck up some of the energy you're trying to transmit to the crank, that's also old technology, that bike looks newer than that...
I still ride a hard tail..Specialized, Rockhopper, I managed to break every componnnt on that bike, noit from abuse, just hard riding the "f trail" in Germany...
next rig is gonna be either A new Specialized dual suspension or a Kona...
either way, looks good for 350...
good luck with it, riding is awesome

I have a cheaper mongoose full suspension and loved it, much better than a hard tail. I just stiffen the rear shock a bit for a street ride.

I ended up buying it. Took it for a spin and loved it. This thing only weighs 26 lbs, damn it's light.

Thanks for the info.:nice:

That seems like a really good deal for what you're getting. I have some of those components on my bike (Hayes brakes, Deore LX derailleurs, Rock Shox) and they work very well. I don't know how much intense hardcore off-roading you wish to do with this bike, but the only comment I have is you might be limited by the suspension travel on that one if you're into high-speed downhill death runs. Mine has 5" of travel in the front and I have managed to bottom-out a couple times on the stiffest setting, but they're usually more than adequate. The pedals on that bike are pretty sweet.

The make diff spring rates for the front shocks depending on your wieght. I will be upgrading those. I was also thinking about swapping out the rear shock with another Fox shock that has dampeners.

I don't do any real serious off road biking with it. I'm hardcore yet....LOL I just go in the reservation and mess around. The highest ledge to go off of is about 4' high. The other trails are more hardcore and are restricted for dirtbikes only.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to take this for a trip in the woods.:nice:

Buy It

Hi, I just Googled Iron Horse Ginsu and this thread came up. I just signed into this page so I can help, I hope. This is a great starter bike. Just cut away the Ginsu decal. Iron Horse makes GREAT bikes but their names are for crap. You should see their other names!? The rear suspension on this bike is a patented Specialized FSR 4 Link rear. One of the best rears for a bicycle you can get. Just check out a Specialized FSR bike on eBay or at a bicycle shop$$$. There is almost no 'bob' when you are petalling uphill or petalling hard. This gives you climbing and power. Front shock is great as well as the disc brakes. Get the bike! Ride the bike a few times before sinking any money into it. Chances are, if you're starting out or even getting at mountain bike riding there is going to be very minor things that you are gong to change. Go to mtbr.com and see the other reviews that people give for this bike. Since you're there, see the other reviews of other bikes that you like or have the money for. Be warned, people or kids that write the reviews will nit pick at anything. Read between the lines. If these people are taking 2-10 foot drops on their bikes and you want to do the same, well forget about your Mustang and spend $3500.00 on a Santa Cruz or better! Things tend to break at that height! Also one last thing. BEFORE you spend a dime on ANY bicycle, climb over it and make sure your 'family jewels' have at LEAST1+ INCHES over the top tube/bar. VERY VERY important. WAIT ( I know its hard) Spring is a few months away, make sure you have room. Seriously! When you need to put a foot down and there's a bar in the way because the ground is a little further away than you anticipated because your top tube is there, well, I'll probably hear you from where you are. Just my 5 cents. Enjoy mountain biking. Great hobby! and maybe I'll see you with my '67 Mustang convertible. I do more than just ride bicycles! Happy New Year, Tom

Definately a knock off of the specialized 4 link, which is an incredible suspension design... I honestly don't believe that it ways 30.0 lbs, but that's what they say.. For $350, I think it's a good deal..

i'm going to have to check out the specialized bikes. I'm not sure about the wieght??? My full suspension Mongoose wieghed in at 38 lbs at the bike shop where it got serviced. Right before I really start pushing this one i'll send it for it's service. While it's there i'm gonna have it wieghed.

Hi, I just Googled Iron Horse Ginsu and this thread came up. I just signed into this page so I can help, I hope. This is a great starter bike. Great hobby! and maybe I'll see you with my '67 Mustang convertible. I do more than just ride bicycles! Happy New Year, Tom

I'm gonna check out those specialized bikes. I did pick it up the other day. What an awesome ride. Plu I didn't realize it was a 27 speed. I believe it will be perfect for me. It's got nice stuff to start off with, plus it's fully upgradeable.

I did some reserch on the Ginsu bikes. It seems that the biggest complaint was thin tires and the clipless pedals. Both of those items have already been changed out so I have to worry about....LOL

Thanks for all the info guys. Greately appreciate it.

Vic