Anyone tried the daniel carpenter repo speedo cable? E9BZ-9A820? 79-95..

rednotch

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
south jersey
Bouncing Speedo below 20mph is getting on my nerves in the beater. It needs a cable, Speedos fine when I run it in a drill, gears fresh. I have an old nos ford service cable E9BZ-9A820 but not wasting it on this, its 69" for use with a vss.. Dc has a repo of it for Around $25 listed as 79-95, wonder if anyone tried it and had luck over the longer pioneer and atp one size fits many cables... https://www.dcmustang.com/shop-by-c...sion/e9bz-9820-1979-95-speedometer-cable-with

• Sponsors (?)

Years ago I had redline gauges in the Los Angeles area build me a new speedo cable for my dodge after having a couple of cheapy ones never work right... Not sure if they can make a ford cable, but if they can you will never need another one......

Subscribing, I am starting to get the low mph needle bounce so I'm going to need one soon. Has anyone had any luck trying to remove the cable from the sheath and then clean and lubricate the cable with graphite?

@ limp,
Is this the place you are talking about?

I have the pioneer one. Out of the box, the inner metal cable is too long. I had to trim off maybe 1/8" or so to get it to fit right. But with it installed, no problems. My speedo runs like you'd expect

A lot of these head units are also contributing to the bounce. It always gets blamed on the cable, but i have a couple speedos that bounce on their own. No real parts to service them yourself, plus you need a special tool to calibrate them so not's not a DIY venture.

Edit: Opps, i remembered that in my latest build, i chucked the pioneer in the trash when i lucked out and found a very clean F2ZF-9A820-BA speedo cable on ebay. Installed that and runs very well.

Last edited:
@Mustang5L5 - Is there a difference between the 87-90 and 91-93 cars with respect to the speedo cables?

86-88 cars without cruise control do not have a VSS, so the speedo cable end that plugs into the T5 is different. I assume the AT and MT cars got a unique cable so that would mean at least 4 cables for that year span. After 1989 all the 5.0's had a VSS so there was just a manual and automatic cable for each year

I don't know the specific differences between the AT and MT cables

I have a few part numbers

91+ M/T: F1ZZ-9A820-A (69.5" long)
90+ A/T: FOZZ-9A820-B (69.5" long

83-89 M/T (no idea if C/C or not): E3BZ-17260-A
86-88 A/T without C/C used: E6ZZ-17260-A

There's also a dealer installed cruise specific cable. I had this on my '88 and stupid me threw it all in the trash when i removed it from the car rather than save a pretty rare kit.

The cable I recently installed in my fox was part number F2ZF-9A820-BA, so not sure what the difference is between any of the others. I'm sure there's a few more cables out there

Reactions: 1 user
86-88 cars without cruise control do not have a VSS, so the speedo cable end that plugs into the T5 is different. I assume the AT and MT cars got a unique cable so that would mean at least 4 cables for that year span. After 1989 all the 5.0's had a VSS so there was just a manual and automatic cable for each year

I don't know the specific differences between the AT and MT cables

I have a few part numbers

91+ M/T: (69.5" long)
90+ A/T: FOZZ-9A820-B (69.5" long

83-89 M/T (no idea if C/C or not): E3BZ-17260-A
86-88 A/T without C/C used: E6ZZ-17260-A

There's also a dealer installed cruise specific cable. I had this on my '88 and stupid me threw it all in the trash when i removed it from the car rather than save a pretty rare kit.

The cable I recently installed in my fox was part number F2ZF-9A820-BA, so not sure what the difference is between any of the others. I'm sure there's a few more cables out there

They list it as 87-90, I don't have access to dealer parts search like I used to but there's a few cables that direct interchange. There's also a E9AZ cable I need to check
The non cruise has a couple 17260 base part number that's interchangeable. those have the non vss ends on them, the 9a820 have the VSS end

Auto vs manual should be the firewall gromet, maybe a tiny bit of length for the routing. The service cable I have is black and made in Mexico vs the oem gray. Like most of ford parts, the part numbers on the part itself rarely match the part number of the service parts.

Most of the stuff you can search online is fubarr these days they cross reference aftermarket parts that have been consolidated into one size fits all and ford kind of did the same
E3BZ-9A820-A is also one that pops up for vss cars. https://www.tascaparts.com/v-1992-ford-mustang--lx--2-3l-l4-gas/electrical--instruments-and-gauges

Last edited:
Subscribing, I am starting to get the low mph needle bounce so I'm going to need one soon. Has anyone had any luck trying to remove the cable from the sheath and then clean and lubricate the cable with graphite?

@ limp,
Is this the place you are talking about?

Yes, they did my gauges in my dodge too.... Top notch work...

I'll probably just order one and a $10 atp y 805

Mine bounces under 20.. but dead steady over 20.... Do you really look at it under 30 anyway???
Stuff like that is just super annoying to me, its a pretty good bounce. The car can be a total :poo: box on the outside until it gets painted but interior stuff drives me nuts. cluster lights on, stuff broken or not working, ratty interiors etc.. I probably have enough trim pieces for 10 cars tucked away for all the common stuff thats broken on these. Hell I even swapped in a stock cluster because i hate the old white face kits and most where sadly not just overlay cards.. If the Speedo was the issue I'd leave it but if they spin fine with a drill its almost all ways a cable or drive gear. There magnetic field driven speed heads, $35 bucks on cables ain't much I spent more on the center ford racing ebrake cable to make that work.

Question, can you use the speedo cable for the AT in a MT car? I read that the AT cable is identical to the MT cable with the exception of the cable itself is 1/4" longer. If that is the case then can you just cut 1/4" off the cable (measure first of course) and use it?

Question, can you use the speedo cable for the AT in a MT car? I read that the AT cable is identical to the MT cable with the exception of the cable itself is 1/4" longer. If that is the case then can you just cut 1/4" off the cable (measure first of course) and use it?
Should be.. My coupe was an aod originally, still has the factory gray cable in it but with a m/t grommet don't think I ever pulled that off that car. But I had a t5 in that for all of a week before it got stuck in third gear, wish I knew how easy a broken shift fork was to replace back then.. Had some version of a tremec in it since.. Never even changed the cables on 4cyl cars doing swaps either unless the sheething was burned or frayed. There's a bunch of oem and service cables that can work for a fox body just finding them is a pita, some equal length headers are too close to it at the frame rail area.. The one on this melted pretty good from the bbk equal lengths that was on it when I got it or I'd just lube it up.