AOD Problems... I am clueless....

kilby94

Mar 5, 2007
Jackson, Ms
First off let me say that i know nothing about an automatic transmission... I just bought a 91' 5.0 Coupe that is bone stock with an AOD in it. Got the car for real cheap and the seller said it needed transmission work. I am going to swap a T-5 in it eventually but for now was wondering if this thing could be fixed easily? The car is real clean and motor runs good.. Problem is when you put the car in a forward gear, it does not go forward!! Reverse works but kinda seems like i have to give it a little more throttle than it should take to get it to move.. Yesterday i was messing with it and put it in drive and it inched forward a little bit.. Kinda suprised me when it moved, so i gave it some gas and it moved about another inch or two.. Then i held it at about 4K and all of a sudden it grabbed and took off spinning tires in the grass.. I drove it around the block and it shifted and all pretty good, but still seemed like something was out of adjustment cause it took between 3k and 4k to get it to move at all from a stop.. Since then i have tried a couple more times and it will inch forward, but won't actually go like it did that one time.. Like i said before i am clueless when it comes to AOD, but someone told me they had a 5.0 thunderchicken that was doing the same thing and he adjusted a bolt on the side of the trans and it fixed his problem???? Well i am not betting on that fixing mine, but am willing to try.. What could cause my problem and what are a few things i can do to try and fix it?? It never made any abnormal noises, and also has way too much tranny fluid in it cause it leaks like a submarine with a screen door..

Thanks, Richard

• Sponsors (?)

Well what i would do is take the trans pan down and put in a filter and the right amount of trans fluid and see if that helps at all....Thats a start maybe the combo of it being way overfilled and a plugged screen could be causing this problem...maybe...:shrug:

yea, i was thinking the same thing, dirty fluid clogging the passages an making servo's stick. change the fluid an filter, make sure the trans valve body (tv) cable is attached to the throttle body, an check the tv is adjusted. check out: Click Click Racing for aod info and trouble shooting. there's a section on adjusting the tv pressure.