Exhaust Are tail pipes and mounts specific?

Espo720

May 4, 2016
Hey guys, had a dynomax cat back on my car and picked up some Flowmasters for cheap locally to swap in. Turns out the mufflers are the super 44s out of the American Thunder kit just missing the tail pipes. Has the extensions to the mid pipe attached and hangers on em.

Are tail pipes specific to each catback kit? I can’t get the dynomax tails to fit at all. Don’t mind ordering the flowmaster pipes but if they are just generic and won’t bolt up then its money wasted. I’d break out the welder but tryin to keep things easy to take apart for the future.

Also the PO of my car put a gt body kit on it, originally an lx, are the mounts different between gt and lx for the bumper differences?

• Sponsors (?)

Fox gt and lx have different pipes where they exit the rear, gt will have a turn down and lx will be straight, I believe the hangers are the same.
It's better to stick to the same manufacturer but they can be adjusted.

Fox gt and lx have different pipes where they exit the rear, gt will have a turn down and lx will be straight, I believe the hangers are the same.
It's better to stick to the same manufacturer but they can be adjusted.
The turn downs vs slashes are the no brainer, been contemplating the cobra rear bumper to run the nicer pipes. I always figured it was just the bumper covers and tail pipes that were different.

Just wasn’t anticipating the tails from one catback not fitting on another

There should not be any real difference in tail pipes between manufacturers cept quality control, most times it's the muffler placement, some are shorter than others, at least this has been my experience, I use a local muffler shop, I dump off the car and a pile of pipes and a pair of mufflers and let them fit 'em.

Do you mean your old dynomax over-axle pipes don't meet up with the new mufflers? If yes, are the mufflers' inlets and outlets both offset? The way foxes mufflers are. If the pipes/mufflers are simply too short, you could get a piece of flex pipe to make the gap. You'll need to use clamps and it looks pretty ugly but it'll work and still be modular so you can take it apart in the future.

Do you mean your old dynomax over-axle pipes don't meet up with the new mufflers? If yes, are the mufflers' inlets and outlets both offset? The way foxes mufflers are. If the pipes/mufflers are simply too short, you could get a piece of flex pipe to make the gap. You'll need to use clamps and it looks pretty ugly but it'll work and still be modular so you can take it apart in the future.

The dynomax pipes are too long for the American Thunder mufflers. I cut about 3” off the driver side tail and it still is too long.

If I fit it all together with the muffler not bolted to the flange, the flanges are wayyy to tight to match up, if I force em then the over axle pipe has no room and is jammed up against the body/gas tank shroud.

The dynomax pipes are too long for the American Thunder mufflers. I cut about 3” off the driver side tail and it still is too long.

If I fit it all together with the muffler not bolted to the flange, the flanges are wayyy to tight to match up, if I force em then the over axle pipe has no room and is jammed up against the body/gas tank shroud.

hmmm... exhaust is terrible. I've had lots of problems with it. I can't exactly picture what you describe but sounds like you'll have to either cut more and get some adapters or flex pipe to connect, or take it to a shop and have them fit it.