Are we MORPHING our cars into something that's a far cry from a true Mustang?

Are we making our stangs into lesser mutations of the original?

• Yes, we OVER modding them into mutations.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No, rock on with the mods.

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Just stepping back from the bark. When I bought my car it was torqy, awesome sounding V8 engine, loped conservatively at lights, rode nice over the bumps, NOT too loud, had cruise and a/c, etc...

Now it is LOUD and MEAN sounding, attracts attention that I don't necessarily want except on the hwy where it is real quiet with the hight gforce 5th gear, rides rougher over bumps, very shakey idle - wags its tail at stop lights and beats hard, HP clutch studders on slow take off, Panhard bar makes noise, louder trans, Large scoop on Hood, .. but rocks out when I hit the gas.

So those of us with extreme mods such as this..are we losing the true Mustang heart of the car? :shrug: I mean, are some of us to concerned with beating LSx's and destroying what a Mustang was meant to be?

• Sponsors (?)

LOL. Don't get me wrong...I think the pluses are great but mine is a far cry from stock. :) I am in the process of weeding out the bugs still. I have a new accufab in the mail and going to try it this weekend to get rid of the screeeech noise (still). The shake- rumble at lights could be toned down with a coupla $250 mufflers someone listed on here (i forget the name of them at the moment), my ride smoothed out - I guess the Tokikos just needed to adjust. The hood took a little getting used to. It looks cool on the outside but kinda sticks up blocking part of the windshield...not too bad though. But that's just my car.

WE are what makes the Mustang what it is: an affordable musclecar, the modern version of the classic hotrod. So no, we haven't ruined it any bit.

This guy on the other hand . . . he HAS morphed it. Into a Velociraptor . . . or something :rolleyes:
mustang_rice-747284.jpg

WE are what makes the Mustang what it is: an affordable musclecar, the modern version of the classic hotrod. So no, we haven't ruined it any bit.

This guy on the other hand . . . he HAS morphed it. Into a Velociraptor . . . or something :rolleyes:
mustang_rice-747284.jpg

agreed and agreed. come on now, the first early years had big blocks and high horse power. how are we taking out low power mustangs and pushing them to the level the older guys were.

If someone sees a Mustang as a docile run-about that's meant to be stock and get someone from A to B, then you my friend have really screwed it up. :rlaugh:

I think it depends upon how someone interprets the purpose of a Mustang. If it's seen as a platform that's easy to mod (and meant to be modded), then what you've done Keith is just what was intended. :nice:

If creating more visceral cars was not what was ultimately envisioned, the factory and aftermarket tuners awould not create more powerful cars [at the expense of some NVH].

I see them as an inexpensive foundation from which one can build up cars to rival more elite factory cars. We like to upgrade things that were too expensive to do at the factory.

I guess what a Mustang is, or what it should be, is in the eye of the owner/builder/driver.

"greed and agreed. come on now, the first early years had big blocks and high horse power. how are we taking out low power mustangs and pushing them to the level the older guys were."

I agree x 3 on that one. The ground effects like that car posted.howver, .lol...I would consider those a minus.

If someone sees a Mustang as a docile run-about that's meant to be stock and get someone from A to B, then you my friend have really screwed it up. :rlaugh:

I think it depends upon how someone interprets the purpose of a Mustang. If it's seen as a platform that's easy to mod (and meant to be modded), then what you've done Keith is just what was intended. :nice:

If creating more visceral cars was not what was ultimately envisioned, the factory and aftermarket tuners awould not create more powerful cars [at the expense of some NVH].

I see them as an inexpensive foundation from which one can build up cars to rival more elite factory cars. We like to upgrade things that were too expensive to do at the factory.

I guess what a Mustang is, or what it should be, is in the eye of the owner/builder/driver.

There you go. The Mustang is a canvas :D

yeah, i don't think we're taking away from what a mustang is, but actually making it more a mustang by modifying it making it more unique, now with all the things out there today, its easier to make the car unique, but harder to pick out tasteful mods that haven't been done a million times.

theres millions of different types of mustangs out there now that are tastefully done. they range from full out drag cars, to clean show cars. to just a fun daily driver.

especially with the 5.0 i don't see a reason being stock, with the aftermarket being decently cheap compared to other cars and motors, you never know what you'll see under the hood of a car with a 5.0, they could have a million different things done.

unlike with the 96-98s, the most common thing i see done to them is just swap for newer heads cam and intake.

a stock mustang is a sad mustang. haha. my stang is in K mart looking for the gun department while holding a box of antidepressants.

Ford made enough for any and all things to be done...like said the golden idea about the mustang is it is totaly different things to different people. It is the platform and a platform at a price that is time tested very hard to beat for the money.

There are some truely bad things done to mustangs...wrecks, people tearing them up with no idea/intention of keeping it nice, people trying to do something different but not having a clue how to do it.

Some people like just the looks and buy a 6er or keep a v8 fairly stock. Some build for a goal of going as fast as the pocket book allows...around turns or in a straight line. Some keep them stock as they see the mustang for the history they are.

When you consider that the VERY first Mustangs were 6 cylinder/automatic cars that were designed to appeal to secretaries and small families (the first car was based on the Falcon chassis) and it turned out that the foundation was so good and so popular that by the late 60's, FORD had modified Mustangs appeal to ALL types of buyers. For those so inclined, it could be a full-on drag car. It could be a road racer. It could be a little beater to get the aforementioned secretary back and forth to work without the enormous dimensions of the cars that were being built in the early 60's. It turned out that a Mustang could be made to do anything the owner wanted. (Hey Chevy, try that with your Corvette!)

" Now it is LOUD and MEAN sounding, attracts attention that I don't necessarily want except on the hwy where it is real quiet with the hight gforce 5th gear, rides rougher over bumps, very shakey idle - wags its tail at stop lights and beats hard, HP clutch studders on slow take off, Panhard bar makes noise, louder trans, Large scoop on Hood, .. but rocks out when I hit the gas."

You've just described the very thing that makes a musclecar, a musclecar. In The Worlds eyes, Americans are very defiant, unruly and unrefined. (Ask the rulers of England about 225 years ago. ;) ) All said, we have a REALLY good thing going in the US and the Mustang represents us perfectly. Although their (The Worlds) sports cars are fast, they are tame and timid, by American standards. They are very likely NOT "brutal". What a shame.

It sounds like your Mustang is VERY unruly and unrefined, SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN! I used to have a 351w powered 1966 Fairlane. (Lots of aftermarket engine parts. 'Nuff said. ;) ) It was BRUTAL. It was a 4 speed car and required a bit of driving ability to keep from hurting yourself or someone else. Most of the time, when I got out of that car, I would be shaking from the adrenaline rush. That car was a blast to drive, needless to say.

"Rocks out, when I hit the gas." Awesome. :)

I dont plan on keeping mine stock. If I wanted to buy a car to keep as it was intended, I would have bought a civic. Only good for getting 35+ mpg on a daily commute. Putting $3,000,000 into a front wheel drive 4 cylinder car to run 11's at the strip is just rediculous. Plus, you need a warehouse full of half shafts when you get it to that point. Mustangs are made to be turned into frankenstein cars! You should put some big bolts out of the fender emblems Pokageek, or better yet MysteryMachine should! His car is green to boot.

I didn't want to over MOD the car. I want to keep it stock. But certain things needs to be done in order to make it look better so i did basic things not too much. Now i can't find anything stock under my hood except a/c compressor and i am about to ditch that too since i own a vert. But i promised myself i would not touch or mod the 4.6.

So i changed the heads on that one. I premised myself i wont do it anymore. then i got new springs and control arms and new intake, throttle body for it.

My girlfriend stopped believing in me. She said i am a liar when it comes to cars.

I changed the exhaust on 4.6 overnight and my girlfriend thought there was something wrong with the car next day and took it to the shop near her work. :)

Does any of you guys girlfriend ever say "You love your car more then you love me?" i am just wondering because....I DO...and i think it's bad....MUHAHAHAHA....sorry :)

I like the fact that Mustangs have a huge aftermarket following.
Also, the ability to take parts from other years of Mustangs and make them work with little to no modification makes the Mustang a great car to make your own.

The only other vehicle that is has a similar following is the Jeep crowd. In my younger years I had a '46 Willys CJ2A. Lots of modding ability with Jeeps. Unfortunately, I had to sell the Jeep during my college years because I needed a reliable vehicle :(

After college I decided I didn't want to be knocked around riding on trails and cleaning mud out of every nook and cranny anymore so I bought a Mustang.

Now, two of my brother in-laws have modded Jeep TJs' and I kinda miss the Jeep thing. But, after a day of trail riding with either one of them I am glad to have the Mustang still :nice:

:SNSign:

The great thing about them is they can be kept stock or heavily modded. I don't think its a matter of which way is better or which way is the true "spirit" of the Mustang. The Mustang has as much of a racing and modding background as it does the pony car status. I don't think the Mustang should be limited to just one aspect for it to be considered a "true" Mustang.

Sometimes i feel the same way. In the quest for modding the ultimate car up, we sometimes make things worse.

I've had the chance to ride around in a stock Fox Mustang and even though i love my 5.0, i couldn't help but say to myself "Damn, i should have left things alone"

I guess my standards have changed?