Attacking the powersteering

dlaul01

Apr 2, 2005
Hey guys whats up, well i had my stall issue I changed the iac and all that ran the computer test. And the only thing that came up was the smog pump faulty went down the smog pump was completly disconnected. Huge vacuum leak so i fixed it it definatly helped the issue where i sit there turn my wheel and it would stall it would catch it way more. So now it only does it often it has to be my powersteering. So i will be replacing it im going to start by going to the filter i hear there is a filter somewhere in the system. Could someone be more specific and tell me where its located and should i just replace it or what could i clean it with.

Thanks guys,
DAN

• Sponsors (?)

I don't believe any cars ever came with a stock P/S filter. The only ones I've heard of are the aftermarket universal ones you can install in-line on the return hose. Napa sells them for not much dough.
Is your pump rather loud when you turn the wheel and this happens? I can't see what could be causing it to want to lock-up when you turn the wheel and stall the motor. If your pump makes a loud whining sound and the fluid is at a good level, I'd say its time for a new pump. But if the pump is silent, then I don't know.

IF your is making a loud whining sounds, then it's probly toast. If the pump doesn't seem to be making sounds, but the car wants to stall when you turn the wheel, more than likely have a bad rack and pinion. ALSO, a bad rack and pinion will cause you to fry your pump fyi. I have been down that road before.....good luck:nice:

Yea it definatly makes a noise when turning the wheel. I know i need a new pump how much this whole thing is going to cost me awaits. Has anyone every changed it is it hard to do and also do you guys think i should go with a new rack and pinon to just incase?

can't hurt.... what happen to me: I came home from a 200 mile trip and i notice that pump was whining like a --tch... so, ok I need a pump...I was all good for two weeks and the new (From ford) pump started whining just like the first one... thats when I realized it was my rack. To make a long story short, I had to replace the pump twice...also, when I was under the stang, it was a good chance to put all new suspensionup front..

check napa. dont forget your gonna need the power steering pulley puller/installer

i think summit also sells a ps pump for our car. its also a good idea to change out the fluid if your only doing the pump.

our cars use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) instead of power steering fluid