Backfire and stall

stangdrvr06

May 17, 2006
Hey guys i couldn't find much on this issue that just happened tonight. I drove my car to the local meet and parked it for about an hour or so. getting ready to leave. Fire up the car and i hear a loud bang and the car shuts off. Buddy yells smoke. I was confused. I tried it again same thing. I check all the hoses to the intake everythings fine. Start it again it runs. Idles fine. Check engine light appears. haven't checked the code yet but i turned the car off again. Started it and it didnt it again. About the 3rd time it started and ran fine. What could this be? I remember this happening when i was cleaning a couple months back and left one of the hoses disconnected but everything seems to be hooked up. My buddy said it could be a bad egr valve? where is that located if that could be it. I'll post codes in the morning. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Ok update that might hekp. Got a code for cam position sensor. Replaced the sensor but car still doing the stall and pop. Not on every crank just some. Any ideas from any1?

hey i know it sounds weird but I have two questions First is have you replaced the alternator and second if u haven't its the alternator the thing if you put a screw driver on your alterntor you will feel a vibration. Now with my car it was a stock alternator and it would start and then stall and the code was the cam sensor heres what you do to test the alternator. If you start the car it should stall and then run a test it will say the cam sensor. Next disconnect the alternator not completely but the back cable and clear the code and start the car the light shouldnt come on and this means you need to get new alternator same thing happened to me.

Yeah its the alternator. My buddy came over to help and we saw the alternator shoot sparks. I was shocked at what it was doing. So I'm going to replace that obviously. Thanks though